www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Folks,
Mark Ellis here. Some of you have seen the Discraft Pro Clinics on Youtube.com and elsewhere. Because I have been involved in hosting some of the clinics, I am often contacted with questions about when the next clinic may happen or whether I would be willing to work with a golfer on a particular skill.

I was recently contacted by a new disc golfer who wanted me to look at his game and make suggestions. We talked about it and he didn't mind the idea of having other new golfers join in with a clinic and filming it so others not present might benefit. I spoke with Discraft's marketing and publishing guru, Brian Sullivan, and he is on board. So the next clinic is set for Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 9:30 am at Kensington Metro Park Disc Golf course in Milford, Michigan.

Each clinic takes on a particular topic. This one is basic skills, intended for someone either new to the game or someone whose self-taught attempts are not working. Ideally, we would like 10 or so participants who are open to having their Grips and throwing forms evaluated and perhaps improved upon. I would prefer to have diversity in our participants so women or juniors or senior citizens or first time players would be ideal. Many disc golfers at this website are accomplished players well beyond the scope of this topic. But if you know of someone who might benefit from basic instruction please let them know.

There is no charge for participating in the clinic. A participant needs to allow us to film it and perhaps publish it. Anyone interested should contact me and request admission. I can be reached through this website or at (248) 505-3568.

The clinic may last a couple hours or extend into other dates depending on the needs of the players or the needs of publishing a video. For anyone whose schedule does not allow them to join us next week but would like to meet with me or another Discraft Pro (perhaps from your geographical area) for an informal lesson, please contact me or Brian Sullivan.

Tags: Basic, Clinics, Discraft, Instruction, New, Players, Pro

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark Stephens said:
I would love to be there Mark but, I have a MDGO meeting to go to. So, I will be at Todd White's place drinking some fine Ale while you are a shivering. You will be in my thoughts.. . ; )

You can't fool me that easy, Mark. You will be at White's Acres drinking the weird beers (Raspberry Sparkling Porters blended with mouse droppings and those other disgusting things you like). You will happily leave the superb hoppy ales for me. Drink up, buddy. Could you please make sure your beer glass is properly disinfected before it is replaced in the cabinet? :)

Good luck to the MDGO representatives. Just because you become intoxicated is no reason not to continue your cooperative attitude, fine work and planning. Just a small suggestion but could you guys ban righty hyzer tunnel holes for next year's tour?
hahah. I'm driving over 100 miles with joshlotto and i'm not even going to be in the clinic! I would drive twice that as long as I had someone going with me. I love Kensington and can't wait to play with the Discraft pros, maybe even tweaking my form a little as a watch the clinic. Mark - I fell into an unconventional and probably harmful habit when i first started of holding the disc with both hands on the backswing then releasing the other hand to get a snap effect when starting my follow through. Here's what I mean:
Find more videos like this on discgolfersR.us
Anyway, maybe that could be an example of a habit you don't want to fall into...
mark ellis said:
Jester said:
I would love to attend this but its around 80 miles away from me. Im not even sure if I could get a group of friends to go but they all play only with Discraft - The Best! lol. I would love to see some pro's at my home park. We had one semi pro who use to hang around alot but you never see him anymore. My friends and I have developed our skills the best that we can without the use of having a Pro handy. We're all wanting to learn, and wanting to improve enough to play in and win tournaments....and maybe someday join Team Discraft..

Hey Jester, if you start walking now...

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the frisbeee's so delightful...

For someone who wants to play tournaments and join Team Discraft, there is probably no reason to learn good form...and hang with a bunch of the Discract Pros...and meet the owner of Discraft. Its probably not worth the drive.

For the others in the clinic or anyone who wants to spectate, we are showing up even if the weather sucks. See you tomorrow morning.
will there be any discraft vendors there mark?
80 miles, 2 kids under 5 years old. Church on Sunday morning and possibly a flat tire.. lol, but no seriously I just seen this on the page today. If I would of seen it earlier I could of saved some gas money and maybe got a group of friends to go. I asked the guy who actually got me started with the game but he will also be at church doing programs with kids. Im sure Mark and I will meet someday, just not this weekend..

P.S. Mark I've watched every video you have on Discraft.com - its helped my game ALOT and I've even beaten a few people who have been around awhile because of it..Thanks

Mark Stephens said:
80 miles is holding you back from becoming a better disc golfer????
I would love to be there Mark but, I have a MDGO meeting to go to. So, I will be at Todd White's place drinking some fine Ale while you are a shivering. You will be in my thoughts.. . ; )
Jester said:
I would love to attend this but its around 80 miles away from me. Im not even sure if I could get a group of friends to go but they all play only with Discraft - The Best! lol. I would love to see some pro's at my home park. We had one semi pro who use to hang around alot but you never see him anymore. My friends and I have developed our skills the best that we can without the use of having a Pro handy. We're all wanting to learn, and wanting to improve enough to play in and win tournaments....and maybe someday join Team Discraft..
aaaahahahaha mark you crack me up all the time.

when i said i was going to go to this, my girlfriend said, "well what will i do all day?". i told her i dont give a f*ck what you do, this is like once in a lifetime and ill see you later. so yea, ill be there and blaze is coming too.
Blaze said:

Hey Blaze, if there is something you are looking for let me know. Maybe, just maybe, I have it. If you ask for it after I am already there your chances plummet.
mark ellis said:
Blaze said:

Hey Blaze, if there is something you are looking for let me know. Maybe, just maybe, I have it. If you ask for it after I am already there your chances plummet.

how generous are the prices?

i want an esp XL, 171ish.
thanks mark. i'm thinking an esp venom or esp pulse, esp zone, flx avenger a rogue and maybe an flx drone if you happen to have one. i doubt you have all these and i don't want to commit to buying all of them right now, but i will definitely grab a few. looking forward to playing tomorrow!

mark ellis said:
Blaze said:

had a great time and learned alot too! thanks Mark and Team Discraft!
agreed. i had a great time too and got a couple very helpful pointers. Mark: it was nice to meet you, and witness your infamous wit first hand hahah.

joshlotto said:
had a great time and learned alot too! thanks Mark and Team Discraft!
Was good to see you again mark, after the ccr, was hoping to improve and exceeded my goals.ended up in Critters group but im sure we'll play sometime together in the near future. and thank you for having us there.
Thanks to the hardy, motivated folks who showed up. The weather was threatening but mercifully held off to give us a few hours to do instruction then play the doubles league thereafter. Indian Summer came to a screeching halt with temperatures in the 30's and strong, gusty winds.

Discraft Pros Mike Raley, "Critter" Bill Themm, Kevin Tomasaitis and Peach, aka Sarah DeMar ( on one good leg and dragging her cast along) attended and taught various skills. Toledo Pro Chris Wojciechowski (known as Woj on this site) not only brought us some players but pitched in and helped teach as well (well, OK, we drafted him and put him to work). We had more new players than expected (Somewhere in the 30 to 40 range and a few more who joined us in progress). With good weather maybe we could have filled a disc golf course. With good weather maybe we would have had a film crew.

One thing the clinic taught me is that there are a lot of new players who are looking for learning opportunities. After the clinic, the most common question I received was when the next clinic was being held.

One sidelight to the clinic. This process all started when Kevin Piech found me on the internet and emailed me seeking a lesson. From there this clinic was born. So I met Kevin and he was in the group that I worked with. Following the clinic, Kevin asked me if he was good enough to play the Sunday doubles league. I told him absolutely. One day he was going to be one of the top Pros and would draw a beginner in doubles, so it is just part of the cycle of the sport. There was a good sized doubles group (30+?) but by happenstance we drew each other as partners. Then we went on the squeak out a one stroke victory with Kevin cashing in several putts including one long one in tough wind.

What does this story prove? Evidently, no matter how flawed my teaching techniques are, not even I can hold hold back young talent.

Thanks to all who attended. For anyone who might want to be involved in a future clinic you can reach Discraft at Discraft.com.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968