www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Are some baskets harder on discs than others?

what are your experiences?

(I've been practice putting at a course that has the Innova baskets w/the yellow rim around the top- these baskets seem to really tear apart a disc when you hit high on the edge of the rim around the basket- chunks of the bead are already missing on brand new kc pro aviars and s. wizards. the rim is pretty sharp up top, isn't this a design flaw?)

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The worst for me is the Discraft baskets that have the hole number above the basket.  it you hit the side of the metal hole number plate, it will take a slice out of your disc.
metal vs plastic.
My course inBrady, Tx. I have always hated the yellow band. I don't understand why certain designers use such a stupid basket. Oh, thats right they never play disc golf they just pretend they were pro's.

The new Innova baskets I have played on catch very well.  The yellow band doesn't impair any putts which hit below it, which is where a putt is supposed to hit.  I wish the baskets at my home courses caught anywhere near as well as the ones with the yellow bands.

To argue that the Innova designers are poorly qualified is funny.  If they are not qualified then no one is.

The baskets which chewed up discs the most were old Lightning Cable Catchers (there are probably still some in use somewhere.  The course at Grand Ledge, Michigan has them but they have been retrofitted with chains).  These baskets had no chains rather cables wrapped in plastic hung down from the top assembly.  The cables were tied together at the bottom by metal buckles which had sharp edges.  So a putt would strike the cables and slide down to the buckles which gouged your disc.  It was sort of like putting at the side of a street sign.  Almost every putt left a mark. 

i covered the legs of my mach lite basket with an automotive trim . it has kept my putters from getting all skuffed up when i practice .

I have a bunch of experience getting my putters chewed up by discs.  One of my home courses is, I believe, the 3rd oldest course in Missouri, built in 1980--the Front Course at Albert-Oakland Park in Columbia.  The original nine baskets on that course are Mach 2's, manufactured with very shallow baskets and only a minimal number of outer chains. Consequently, our club retrofitted them years ago with inner chains.  Both of our practice baskets are similarly retrofitted.  The reason they eat discs is that the new bolts stick up on top of the basket, and even though some attempt has been made to coat them, they take chunks out my putters nearly every time I doink one high. This is surely my fault, but they have eaten a lot of my plastic over the past few years.  The baskets on the top course are also a common source of complaint in tourneys because they don't catch as well as newer baskets--see Nikko's recent blog post: http://www.nikkodiscgolf.com/?p=416 ) but they are what they are.   I'd rather have older baskets than one less course in our town. 

Actually, I'm heading out to league now to play on those very baskets...hopefully they aren't too hungry today:).

For me I just focus on my target and not on the tree.  If I focus on missing the tree i either hit the tree or miss wide.  But when i focus on the target and forget about the tree I putt a lot better and rarely hit the tree
I wasn't clear, there is no argument here. But there is a question. I'm talking about the yellow ring around the top of the basket. I ran my finger around the top of the ring and with enough pressure it seemed sharp enough to split a finger open. I wasn't sure if this was an older design. I've been trying to figure out why putting at this course has been tearing up discs. I'm guessing that since the top of the ring is the sharpest part of the basket, it's the probably cause.

yellow
black band

I found this basket in particular loves to eat discs...

Well I think the Innova discatchers are the best baskets around. They catch awesome and if hit it where you are suppose to you don't scuff your discs up. The yellow band also makes it easy to locate the pins. I wish all courses had them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968