www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi, I'm pretty new to Disc Golfing.  I've been playing since last fall and have quickly become quite obsessed with the sport.  However, my throws don't really have much distance or accuracy off the Tee.  I throw right hand forehand to try and get as much power as I can but I'm wondering if I'm using discs that may be more difficult for me to throw right now.  I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good forehand beginner driver?

Thanks

Tags: Beginner, distance, driver, forehand

Views: 1213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Power and control with backhand starts with proper footwork. Learn the X-step and then learn how to come straight through with your arm and keep it low. A lot of problems (like the disc going straight up in the air and turning left) are caused because the body isn't set up in the right position. The X-step sets the body up so that you will get power with your drive. Watch a good video or ask someone for assistance with the footwork. It's not that hard and makes all of the difference in the world. Once the lower body does the right thing all that the upper body has to do is pull the disc straight through.

I hear you, I play at 6:30 as many mornings as I can during the week. There isn't usually anybody out then. Cracks me up, 12 million people live here in Socal and most mornings I have the park to myself.

Kind of hard to say without seeing your throw. If its turning left release thw disc with some hyzer meaning the end of the disc is released with a slight downward tilt. If its going to hard right flatten it or maybe anhyzer wgich is amgling the disc up on release. Discmania just released therw second how to on backhand drives. The video shows the ways to hold hyzer and anhyzer which would be similar to forehand. I say this because ypu mentioned earlier you werent sure what it meant. Also check out tge discraft pro clinic vids. I flick mainly wraiths and destroyers personally.

Open field work,set your bag as target and shoot.Frustration will be when you're throwing on fairways that are boardered with trees.I throw backhand mostly since my wrist is shot/arthritic.Throw a mixed bag.

ABCDisc Flying Squirrel,Innova Mosquito.

Check out Vibram discs/web site.Vids with each disc.

Good luck,welcome to the addiction.

Thanks, I'll have to look up some videos.
Thanks a lot.  I've watched a few videos but I guess I have to watch some more.
Thank you very much.  I can already tell I'm at the beginnings of an addiction.  I actually started doing custom dyes on my discs too which has added a whole new level of addiction to it.

If it is at all possible, attend one of Mr. Ellis's clinic's. He throws forehand all the time, and is doing some sort of clinic pretty soon. (there was a thread on here the other day.)

found the thread, if you can.....go there....

Yeah, I saw that thread.  I believe it said its going on May 20th.  I have to see if I can get there.

When I throw a forehand/ sidearm I throw my katana which hooks alot but i play the hook so shoot to the left of where you want it to go and i use a one finger tomahawk kind of grip and just flick it it makes my friends mad when they backhand power off the tee and with a flick i out drive them....try different things buddy if you want something very stable the eagle is the best disc in my bag for beginning and i primarily shoot backhand

I have a general rule, but by no means is it hard and fast: If my disc needs to turn left, I throw backhand. Conversely, if it needs to turn right, I throw forehand. Therefore, my primary forehand discs are all super-overstable molds (a few Flicks in varied degrees of beatedupedness, Nuke OS, Speed Demon, Spirit) so I KNOW they will go right and not turn over. But they require a TON of snap on an anny angle. That isn't to say that a turnover forehand with a Wraith, Teebird, or Predator doesn't have value, its just less predicable.

My Two Sense...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968