www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Went out with a friend last week and played for the first time. Needless to say, I'M HOOKED. I'd like to get some advice on what discs I should probably go purchase in order to get started. My buddy told me to go get a basic "starter set" to begin with but if would like to know of a better beginning setup. He told me that he had a Leopard, Shark (150) class, and a standard Aviar putter he would lend me until I got some equipment.

I'm right handed and throw backhanded with average power

Sorry for all the "Noob" sound but any advice would be great.

Thomas

Tags: Beginner

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

at 1st, throw the slowest disc you can until you get the form down. dont worry about distance just yet. youtube is a wealth of information for learning the form that fits you. above all else, enjoy the game.

Sidewinder and TeeBird are great discs that are easy to throw.

Thanks Ron & Jim for the replies. Very Helpful.

discgolfreview has some very good articles for beginers as well, plus disc flight ratings and reviews.

You can always use your friends Beater Disc's First. If you have a Pro shop that Rents Disc's , that is another good way.

You state you are New. Use your Friends Understable Disc's First. He will show you. They are less stable than the others.

It Takes alot of practice and Time to Develop the correct skills to use Overstable Disc's. ( For a RightHanded player , Overstable means they will Turn hard Left mostly).  You can purchase the Beginner Set if you want , but even those Disc's in the package will take some time getting used to them.

What also helps is if you have played other Sports , Like Tennis , Baseball , Football , Soccer , Basketball.  You need to know yourself and your abilitities and balance. Also , Please try to Learn the Correct Form. This will help you in the Long Run and prevent bad habits. Learn the X-step for driving and always practice putting.

Yeah pretty much what was already said, my first really good starter disc was a lighter DX sidewinder. I suggest sticking in the 150-165g disc until you really get the hang of it. On innova disc stick to things that are below 10 on the first number and have a negative 3rd number. for example a sidewinder is 9/5/-3/1 (speed/glide/high speed turn/low speed turn), For Discraft go with disc below 1, the lower the number the better at first. For example a Glide is -0.5.

"Play it again sports" typically has a bunch of used discs for cheap depending on your location. It is a good way to try a lot of different discs without spending a lot of money. I have bought some discs as cheap as $2.00. Remember that as you improve, your disc choice will change with regard to "over stable" and "under stable". The flight characteristics are directly related to velocity and spin. Also, the flight characteristics change as the disc gets broken-in so keep that in mind if you are throwing used discs.

Throw as often as you can, and heed the advice offered by the other folks here about learning proper form and technique. Good luck. 

I'd say the discs he offered you are great starter discs and would be great to get some for yourself. The leopard is a great first driver. The shark is a really good midrange for a begginer as well- and you cant go wrong with an aviar. 

Youtube is your best friend at this point- you can learn proper form and technique which is essential to a good drive. You can throw a disc a good 300' without a ton of power and just good form. 

Practice Practice Practice. It's the only way to get better. 

Slow under-stable discs are going to be your best choice. The wide rim fast speed drivers will come with time, if you use them now you'll only screw yourself in the end.  Good luck. 

Was just thinking about it-- i'll go ahead and put together a beginner friendly list of discs. Just innova and discraft because they are usually easy to find locally.

As far as putters go-- you just gotta find one that feels right in your hand-- there's a lot of different putters and they all work great.I really like challengers and aviars. My girlfriend likes polecats. The polecat don't feel right in my hand- even though they fly realllly well in wind. So I'm going to focus on midranges, fairway drivers and drivers.

I wouldn't go any faster than the discs suggested- which is speed 9( I think, lol). If you go faster its gonna make the disc hard to throw and force bad habits upon your form. 

There's a few terms in the disc golf world you need to learn.  Here's a video that can help 

The plastic that the disc comes in makes a huge difference in the stability of the disc. The more premium plastic, generally is going to stay more overstable longer, than a cheaper version of the same disc. What this means is- if you buy a cheap disc (pro-d or dx plastic) its going to beat in and fly exactly like you want it to faster, but- it will not stay that way as long as one in Champion or Z plastic. It should last you as a noobie for a year+ depending on rate of play and how many trees you hit with it, lol.

The weight of the disc also plays a huge roll in how the disc flys. The heavier the disc is, the harder its going to be to throw. So try lighter weight discs around the 160 gram mark or less. Try to stay out of the 170+ gram discs. 

How far do you throw???

Good discs to start with from Innova- These are limited to slower speed discs (speed 9).

Midranges:  Cobra, Shark, Stingray, Kite, Panther, Skeeter,

Fairway Drivers: Cheetah, Leopard, TL

Drivers: Archangel, Dragon, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Valkyrie

Some discs from discraft:

Midranges: Buzzz SS, Comet, Meteor, Hawk,

Long range drivers (fairway drivers): Stratus, Impact, Glide, Eclipse,

Extra long range drivers: XL (i'd stick with either pro-d or elite-x XL's, the z is pretty stable for a begginer in this disc), Stalker, Xpress, Cyclone

The websites for both comany's will help you understand that particular disc a little better. The flight path shown for that disc on innova's website will show what the disc will do when thrown flat and at the appropriate armspeed. 

So now that you have your discs-- lets learn form.

Good luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968