www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm looking to move from my current location of Gillette, WY to a city with a solid disc golf scene. I'm skilled enough to play competitively but my current area has only one course that's on the opposite side of town. I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thanx

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont Know how you feel about Wisconsin but If your serious about Disc Golf, there's no better place... As far cities go... Madison is Amazing! And Central Wisconsin is adding great new 18 hole courses all the time (And there's always HighBridge Hills for a weekend getaway. I recommend trying that one no matter where you live in the country). Good luck on your search

More criteria.  How do you feel about steamy hot summers---or deep-frozen winters?  Big cities?  Employment?

Charlotte, NC has many excellent courses, a thriving club and tournament scene, and very little snow.  Augusta, GA has a half-dozen excellent courses, the IDGC, and even less snow.  Augusta's a much smaller city.

Another criteria question:  How many courses do you really need?  If there are 2 or 3 very good courses within 30 minutes, do you need any more than that?  If not, your possibilities expand greatly.

What's your definition of "solid disc golf scene", anyway? 

I say Florida.  I know Florida is not a city.

To be specific, Central Florida.

Think about it.  Florida is known for it's great weather.

Where else can you play Disc Golf twelve months out of the year.

I live in Central Florida, and there is

Daytona (Tuscawilla, Reed Canal)

Debary

Mount Dora

Apopka

Orlando (Barnett Park, Bill Frederick, UCF, Airport Lakes)

Then there's West Coast Central Florida (Sarasota Sky Pilots Courses)

Go to Disc Golf Review  dgcoursereview.com

I found 15 courses within a 50 mile radius of Orlando.

Enough about how great Florida is.

Where ever you decide to go, use dgcoursereview.com or the PDGA site and actually see how many courses there are to the place you are interested in.

Actually, discgolfwise, "anywhere" might be a good answer for someone from Gillette, WY.

Though most of the answers you'll get are from people touting their hometown.  So let me be different.

If you don't mind the winters, I think the Des Moines, Minneapolis, and wherever in Michigan Flip City is are hubs with active scenes and good (or great courses).  Slightly warmer, Dallas-Ft. Worth often comes up high in these discussions, as does Kansas City. 

The suggestion to look at dgcoursereview is an excellent one.  I haven't been to the West Coast but Oregon seems to have a lot of highly-rated courses (though I get the impression they're not near a "city").

I guess the other criteria to ask is, what do you want to do when you're not playing disc golf.  Surely that happens from time to time. 

The primary problem with DG Florida is the only way you get elevation on a course is to step on an alligator...

Move to the Denver area. Its got a great scene, a wonderful variety of courses, employment is not too difficult to find (compared to other parts of the country), and its quality of life is second to none. Not only that, but it wouldn't be long move from Gillette.

If I could live in any city for DG it would be Denver, there are about 45 courses within 50 miles of that city.

I heard the Quad Cities has some good Disc Golf.

I have heard that Kansas City is the Disc Golf Mecca....

..or one of the many Oak trees one can climb to retrieve on any dg course here ;>}

RSR (Rock Springs Ridge)disc golf course in Apoka,Fl has elevation,recently new to the Central area of Fl

Year round golf. My vote is for the Seattle, Tacoma, WA area. I've been going up a few times a year (come on August!!!) and I still haven't scratched the surface. Oh, but you have to like clouds and rain. Portland, OR is pretty sick tooo! I mean, come on. How could you not like a town (Portland) were there motto is "Keep Portland Weired" These are also some great areas to do other things besides disc golf....hiking, camping....incert any outdoor activity....The vibe is just awesome.

If you want a smaller town feel. Eugene OR is a GREAT college town and there are a handfull of courses around there, but what I always love when I go up there are the people. They are very cool and the disc golfers are even nicer...I love it up there!

Not to change the subject, BUT, when are you gonna be up here RESCUE????? We gotta get together for a round!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968