www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm looking to move from my current location of Gillette, WY to a city with a solid disc golf scene. I'm skilled enough to play competitively but my current area has only one course that's on the opposite side of town. I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thanx

Views: 741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Eric. Mobile has some of the best courses i have ever played and the disc golf scene there is booming. Plus the beach is only a few minutes away. That is always a bonus in my book. If i was gonna move anywhere that is where I would be heading.

I DON'T live in the best city.  And yet......within 15 minutes of my office, home, or commute, there are 3 fine courses (about "4" at DGCR), which is enough to keep my occupied, plus an assortment of others when I want variety.  Within 1 1/2 hours---an easy daytrip---are the hubs of Charlotte, Augusta, plus a bunch of fine courses in the SC upstate.  I've got local action 5 days a week if I want it, and there's a tournament within 2 hours virtually every weekend.  The weather is playable year-round and fine about 9 months a year.

There are dozens of cities with a better disc golf scene---but how much more do you need?  I say, figure out how many courses, how many good courses, and what climate keeps you happy, then take your pick among the qualifiers.

If you are living in Gillette you are already used to the winters. Maybe Minneapolis would be a good choice. Plenty of work, great courses, a lively DG community, and an outdoor lifestyle that men only dream of. I just can't take the winters anymore.

This from another person who believes that Florida is all sand and water.

Ever been to Brooksville? 

Come on out to Beautiful San Diego California !!!!!  Water here to Today at the Beach is 70 degrees !!!!!

Our Club site :  www.sandiegoaces.com

Here is were I'm at Today : www.morleyfield.com

I played the Gran Canyon which is unfortunately no longer there. But it also points out that in Florida, to get elevation, you might need to excavate.

The Quarry Golf Course in Brooksville is open.

I have played ball and disc golf there.  The Quarry has the most elevation that I have seen in Florida.

Florida is great until we get into the dead of summer at which point you're gonna be scheduling early morning and late evening rounds only.

In the winter though, it is pretty amazing.

Good to see that the places I mentioned are on that slide show. Go West Michigan Disc Golf! :-D
Everybody...Thank you. Your recommendations are great and I have a lot of food for thought and a lot of great directions to think about travelling in. I might just have to make my way to all of these locations and take all of your advice and play all of those courses. I just wish I could get paid to travel and throw. Any job offers?

I currently live in Southern California and have lived in Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids and Rochester, Minn. 

So Cal is extremely expensive and economy is way down right now. You would be crazy to move here unless you already had family here, a car and a job.  The weather is GREAT! The disc golf is acceptable. 

If you don't mind some winter weather you can't go wrong with the three metro areas in Iowa. Those would be Des Moines, Cedar Rapids/Iowa City and the Quad Cities - aka Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa.   The economy in Iowa is doing great and the housing is affordable. The people there are the nicest you will ever meet.  No matter which city you choose, it is an easy one or two hour drive to any of the 168 courses across Iowa.  Plus, there is a ton of tournament golf in the Midwest. It is an easy drive to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Missouri for hundreds more courses.  I really miss Iowa disc golf and all the great people there.  However - I don't miss shoveling snow, raking leaves and 90% humidity!

If you don't mind even colder weather, go to Minnesota.  (Your profile says Eau Claire, so you already get it.) The best disc golf on the planet. Plus you are also close to other great Midwestern disc golf courses in Iowa and Wisconsin.  Again, I miss the awesome disc golf scene in Minnesota, but I retired my snow boots FOREVER in 2004!

If the scene in Mobile, AL is as good as these folks say, I say go live by the ocean and forget snow forever.  If you want a decent economy, move to Iowa. 

No matter where you go, your disc golf family will be there to welcome you.

DALLAS/FORT WORTH- has a lot of good courses, several mini's a week, one or two larger tournaments within driving distance a month and alot of disc golfers. The weather is great 9 months of the year. The other three months are descent for disc golf but HOT! DFW has had a stronger than normal economy thru the recession. Dallas has traffic but i've never hit traffic going to a mini.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968