www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm looking to move from my current location of Gillette, WY to a city with a solid disc golf scene. I'm skilled enough to play competitively but my current area has only one course that's on the opposite side of town. I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thanx

Views: 726

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Upper Midwest sites also looking good for economic survivability in tough times:

http://www.startribune.com/local/125494028.html

i am pretty happy to be living in madison. we seem to be "blessed by the disc golf gods." i enjoyed the st. louis and kansas city areas very much too!
The city you live in! So for me I guess it the Grove! Here in Cottage Grove OR
You might consider the Mpls / St. Paul area. Thanks to Chuck Kennedy, Timmy Gill, Tim Mackey and others, we have over 20 courses in the metro area, and lots more outstate. On any given night during the season you can play a league somewhere. And we play all winter long -- or you can hibernate. It is a solid DG scene, thanks to the volunteers of the Mighty MN Frisbee Assn. Also our unemployment rate is lower than the national average.
I would like to chime in for Huntsville, Alabama as one of the best disc golf cities. After Tom Monroe started disc golf in the south in Florence, Al. The hub of the southeast became Huntsville. Two of the top ten oldest courses in the world are Brahan Springs and Redstone Arsenal. We also have UAHuntsville, Indian Creek, Mastin Lake and Monte Sano, ALL within ten minutes of each other and all with different terrain and challenges. If you want to drive another ten minutes we have the Sportsplex in Athens, AL, Sparkman Park in Hartselle, two private courses, and two more nine holes. As I write this I have designed three more waiting on approval. Huntsville has produced three players with world championships and eight with finishes in the top ten in the open division. Huntsville ran the 1983 and 1993 worlds, numerous major tour events and countless secondary events. The 2008 US Womens was here and it is coming again next year. Huntsville is a high tech town with very little impact from the economic troubles. Employment is high, the city is thriving and disc golf is exploding! Outside of Huntsville I give a nod to Des Moines, Kansas City, Bowling Green and Alabama's own Mobile.

I've played disc golf in all of the metropolitan areas listed on this thread so far except Minneapolis, San Diego and anywhere in Texas.  I think most of the areas listed are fine places for the quality of the disc golf, except Florida is flatter than I would like.  But for flat courses, central Florida does have some good courses. 

If I think about everywhere I have gone for a disc golf vacation [Worlds or the private family equivalent amount of disc golf] Des Moines IA, Bowling Green KY, Charlotte NC, Ludington MI, Ann Arbor MI and Cincinatti OH, come to mind as places I'd go back to just for the disc golf.  Central Florida I'd go back to, but the dude in the mouse costume factors in to that decision.  Love those giant mice. 

So what is wrong with playing on flat land with mowed grass?  Where you can play 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.  Playing in the woods where a bulldozer plowed thru for a fairway taking a right or left turn at 200 feet, hiding the basket.  That is not fun and never will be.  Spending half of your time looking for your discs.   And yes I know it is fun to throw down a toboggan run or off a mountain, but for everyday play, not.
If you stay in AugustA GA, there are 7 public and 3 private (but accessible) couses with 25 miles of driving distance, including the PDGA world headquarters, with all manner of lay-outs and difficulty levels.  Atlanta is 2+ hours away with 19 courses in the greater metro area, with Charlotte 3 hours away (both ATL and Charlotte via interstate) with multiple world class courses. Go to the PDGA website and plug in zip code 30906.

I agree 100% Wisco is amazing for disc golf.

the actual courses in denver are not bad but not the greatest. I played some around Arvada which were pretty cool due to the desert scene they had which I being from WI am not used too.  I also enjoyed Johnny Roberts Memorial DGC with all the ob and short technical shots. I was there in March boarding at Breck so didn't get to play any of the mountain courses.
again not all can even be called courses, one I went to that was on a map I acquired from the Phoenix dg shop didn't even have tee pads. I guess it depends on whether you are a quality or quantity type of guy?? 

This an unanswerable question, check out my discussion from a few weeks ago about the best disc golf state.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968