www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been working on my backhand and forehand rollers for the last couple of months. I have been using an Innova ArchAngel for most of my shots. Other than the DX plastic is just getting beat to crap, it is working pretty well. I use a Star Vulcan if I have a lot of room to work with and a large distance to cover. Are there any plastics or disc molds that work better than other, especially on a forehand roller?

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

just threw my longest roller ever? with a 149gm  star vulcan
Playing a roller happy course tommorow. Gonna let er rip on some monster backhanders if I can. I had a buddy point me in the right direction on using my Vulcan for monster backhand rollers. We'll see tomorrow if I can sky a few, I'll let you know.
Played 6 rounds this weekend. Found out my Gold line Lat 64 Fuse makes an AWESOME get out of trouble backhand roller. Not huge distance, but rolls Very reliably. Anyone tried a Champion Coyote as a roller?

I use an old star destroyer on forehand rollers, and it goes pretty far even with low power on the shot.

Had success with the forehand again on todays couple of rounds. Threw a couple of backhands with the Vulcan, just can't quite get it up on edge and rolling no matter how much i coax it. The Archangel on the other hand loves to roll, just doesn't have the distance that I would like. Time to make some purchases and just shut my mouth until i do.
Try a Beat up Pro Firebird !
I get my longest results from a r-pro Katana. Second choice Champion Roadrunner.
So far I am loving the Firebird for forehand rollers out to 300' and a Magnet for 100 footers and in. Backhand still alludes me, but I continue to work on them. I have an R Pro Kaatana that I'm going to give a go, if that fails, I'll stick with the Arch Angel until I can afford some more plastic and move on to shaping shots with my forehand. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it has been real enlighting. Learning the rollers has really taken my game to another level on the course. I have virtually eliminated bogey's because of the bag full of new upshots that I have at my disposal.

Excellent posts everyone!  Very Informative!

So, by following the logic of everyone here,  the stiffest, heaviest and most stable discs = best formula for a max distance forehand roller....

Anyone tried out a Champion Ape?  I think they only make them in 175g.

The Ape has a really wide rim to it and is hard to get any snap on it to get forward spin. Most Apes also have a domey top and aren't well balanced for rolling, they want to turn too soon and lay over on their top before any significant distance is achieved. Finding a disc where the rolling edge is half way between the top and bottom edges of the disc is optimal. The Firebird is a good disc for moderate forehand distance for me, the rim is my max width for getting spin, and the disc is well balance and comes up on edge and stays there for a good amount of time.
Hmm... interesting.  So you're not really looking for an overstable driver but something that would be a straight flyer  like a TeeBird or TL?  I'm thinking in terms of Innova's flight ratings here...
You are correct in wanting to use an overstable disc for forehanding a roller. You want a disc that is overstable with a grip that you can get some nice snap on to get forward spin once it hits the ground.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968