www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Currently use 150 flick. But it likes to go wide. Trying to find one that sticks inside a narrow fairway. Help me

Views: 616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too love the Flick for thumbers but you're right that it has a very wide turn.  (The big turn is actually what I love about throwing a Flick overhand...it flies further than any other thumber disc I throw.)  For narrower lines, I tend to throw Avengers or Firebirds.  I can throw them low and release between 1 and 2 o'clock, which usually amounts to a tighter line.  Avengers (obviously) fade a little less than Firebirds when thrown like this, so they end up a little straighter.  The other thumber disc I rely on a lot for straight shots is a Monster.  I throw them over the top and they turn so quick that they end up trailing back to the left a little at the end, which means it finishes on a straighter line than any other disc I've tried for this shot. 

I use a Z Tracker, or a FLX XL for my thumber shots. I've heard the slower the disc the farther it will travel before it turns over.

I pretty much concur with this answer with one addition. 150 class S-PD. It is perfect for tight, straight finishing 250-275 footers. There are two holes in my area that I thumb and I use it on both with more consistency than my flick gave me.

I second your choice of light weight PDs for that shot. Great call Justin.

I've never thrown a 150-class PD.  Sounds intriguing...I'll have to check it out!

I have been working on my Thumber shot like Crazy. The more Overstable the disc, the Bigger the roll it will do. It will roll out really wide, BUT will give you the greatest distance with a thumber shot. Less stable, the Tighter the roll, with less distance. 

I have used the Flick, Predator, XXX, and a Blitz for my Distance thumbers. I got my best distance out of the XXX, belive it or not, with my longest being around 280ft.

For UNDER 250ft, and tighter fairway shots, I am using a Brand new 175gm Champion Beast (Still rolls a little wider) and a 176gm Skyquest Medusa. The Medusa makes TIGHT ROLLS in the woods, and because it is such a soft, gummy plastic, NEVER rolls off. AWESOME Understable Thumber disc!!!!

word.

all depends on wind really.  i use a flex avenger ss for a long tailwind or a 150 champion valk.  i use a 164 champion banshee for headwind and short thumbers also use a 171 flex surge for the same shot.  i have used a 171 predator for a headwind with success as well. 

a buddy that plays with us from time to time throws an EPIC consistantly for 300'.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-Epic-Disc-Golf-Driver/dp/B0048BZ7S2

Thry some overstable mids on a thumber line and see what they do. You might be surprised at some of the approach angles that you can hit. I love the slow wide turn of a Lat Pain on 200' foot thumber, slides in nice and slow from the side on lower overhanging trees.

I played with a guy that thows that epic for about 600 feet thumber

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968