www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am really consistent throwing a thumber, but am having trouble taking distance off of it. I can throw a drive from 280' to 350' depending on which disc (KC Teebird/Star Firebird/etc.) I am using. Having mastered the distance and accuracy from these distances, I am now trying to find the right disc for around 220' to 270' feet shots, because trying to take a little off my arm speed doesn't seem to work all that great. Its just out of my range for backhand throws and I've been working on my forehand but im not accurate with it at all and use the forehand more for distance when I need to get under obstacles.

I am wondering if anyone has had any success throwing a midrange or putt/approach disc as a thumber. I prefer Innova discs, but am open to any suggestions. Most midranges I have tried seem to flutter and end up with inaccurate results. Suggestions please...

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i believe release point has a lot to do with distance on thumbers...around 45 degrees for max D, lower you release point, and I'm sure you will get less distance.
Yeah, I agree, and have figured this out as well... Its just that when you are trying to get over an obstacle, I want a midrange disc that I can throw for max distance (at 12:00) like I would release a driver for max distance, but is going to not travel as far and just drop straight down.
Only mid I've ever used was a Gator, but it's mainly my escape shot.
I like the 2008 ace race disc from discraft (nebula)
I use a 150 Flick esp. can throw it hard as a normal flick thumber and it will only got about 2/3 as far. I use it for up shots all the time. same flight as a normal flick but shorter result and a faster turnover in the air. I thumb on 60 to 70 percent of all holes i play and can throw a normal flick thumber in the range of 325 to 375 on flat ground. Have thrown over 400 ft down hill thumbs too.
Try a Z Predator, just throw it low and straigt.
Just try throwing the driver low or really really high to take some distance off it. I personally dont like throwing thumbers with midranges cause it hurts my hand when i throw it.
I have alotta luck with a predator or maybe a venom would work on the innova side try a whippet I know a few guys who love them for shorter thumbers
I would throw anything that is really understable. That way you can throw it softer and still get it to corkscrew.
I get good results throwing a TomaRoc for a lot of upshots. Great for exactly the range you're talking about. :)

My other favorite discs for overhead are the Leopard and Beast for great accuracy and more range and then of course my Epic for max distance and to get a right hand turn on the end.
Elite X Talon, they turn and burn good for shorter distance thumbers and tommys. The Z Talons are quite a bit different they go much farther. It's funny but the plastic makes a difference.
There is a guy I play with all the time that throws thumbers exclusively...nothing else. He uses a DX Viper for his upshots. I like to throw thumbers myself and I've noticed the same thing when throwing slower discs and their flutter. I hate that as you said...takes away consistent accuracy. I think that you're going to just have to try different discs or slightly modify your grip. I'd borrow some of your buddies' discs and go into an open field and throw several and see what you come up with. I've had a lot of epiphanies out in an open field experimenting with different discs and shots.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968