www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am really consistent throwing a thumber, but am having trouble taking distance off of it. I can throw a drive from 280' to 350' depending on which disc (KC Teebird/Star Firebird/etc.) I am using. Having mastered the distance and accuracy from these distances, I am now trying to find the right disc for around 220' to 270' feet shots, because trying to take a little off my arm speed doesn't seem to work all that great. Its just out of my range for backhand throws and I've been working on my forehand but im not accurate with it at all and use the forehand more for distance when I need to get under obstacles.

I am wondering if anyone has had any success throwing a midrange or putt/approach disc as a thumber. I prefer Innova discs, but am open to any suggestions. Most midranges I have tried seem to flutter and end up with inaccurate results. Suggestions please...

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does he throw thumbers for putts?
He putts normal, he even added a putter to his bag this year. Before he'd just pick up the Avenger, Viper or whatever and putt with it.

He can throw a decent backhand shot if he has to, he's just so accurate with a line drive thumber that he rarely finds a lie that he'll need to throw BH from.
I can understand his philosophy. There's a lot less room for error in throwing an overhead shot and I would say I throw a lot more tomahawks than the average player because of it. I've even nailed a couple long dueces with nicely placed tomahawks from 150+ft out.

Plus a flight plan that starts high and ends with an upside down skip can be invaluable.
If you have the elbow and shoulder for it then use it. Every different throw can be invaluable. I was really starting to put work into my thumber game before I had to quit throwing right handed for the season. Overhand will be on the docket during the winter months after my hand has healed.
I use it for up shots all the time too.
I used to use a FLX Drone for this shot, and I've recently switched to either a Gateway Demon or a Latitude 64 Medius. Both are good for this, the Demon is crazy overstable and the Medius is a little less overstable. Since you are used to throwing overstable thumbers, I would suggest trying the Demon.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968