www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

We're getting a lot of newbies into the Throw Shop, even after only two weeks of operation - www.throwshop.us - and I'd like to see suggestions for what discs we should help them select.

By inclination, we're suggesting lighter discs and less stable discs. For example, using Innova and Discraft examples, for drivers we would suggest a Valkyrie or Leopard or Avenger SS.

When we can, we get them outside and see what their natural throw tendency is before we recommend. And we also tell them that they can expect to come back and buy more stable discs after they get a little better.

Thoughts?

Tags: disc selection, new, newbies

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually the best discs for new players...are used discs.....doesn't really matter what they are if there beat up enough. You should consider a used disc section.
they have one. so i hear.
id say the prod d xl or the elitex xpress are the best choices
I've been trying to get my girlfriend into disc golf but it was really tough to find a disc that she could throw. I first tried a 150g leopard but even that just went left on her because she doesn't get much spin on the disc at all(I still love her though) She likes a 150g shark and a 150 class avair although I'm thinking a 150g buzzz might be better for her. The disc that she finally ended up being able to throw relatively straight and relatively far(doubling her old distances with her first throw) was a 150g dx stingray. She loves the thing and I'm just glad she can have some fun when I drag her along to play.

These suggestions are probably only good for girly girls and small children men and athletic women should probably look at some of the other suggestions. I myself started out with a max weight leopard but grew out of it fairly quickly and moved on to the valkyrie which I had a very long love affair with.
From my experience as a weakling newbie, I'd say Cobra or Stingray to start. The champ Panther is also really nice, but with a bit more fade than the other 2. Then next step after that would be the Impact....150 for weaklings and 160+ for bigger arms - the thing goes laser straight, even when not thrown at full power, and absolutely will hold hyzer or anny lines without rolling out.

I found staying away from anything faster than a Leopard for a couple of months really helped with my form and accuracy. Once they're ready for a longer, faster drivers, the XL, then the 150 class Surge are both super easy to throw and control.
as a fairly new player (just under 2 yrs) the first disc I felt like I really had any control over was an Impact. for my wife it was a dx cobra
I think a stable or slightly understable midrange is probably the best disc for a beginner. Usually a beginner is going to throw a fast disc and a slow disc about the same distance anyway until they get a feel for throwing properly. You can learn all sorts of shots with a stable midrange, but with a driver, that isn't always the case.
panther is a good choice and the lepoard is a great choice of a first driver
I would tend to not bother with the Valk or Avenger until they are consistently over 250' Basically understable and slow is the way to go. Stratus, Comet, Eclipse, Shark...... for drivers they can go with Archangel and/or Express.
hey now,150 Valkyrie;Eclipse,Comet,Hawk,Avenger SS;Wizard putter& mid range
Exactly. Lighter , understable discs work better for new players.
What was your first disc?
It wasn't a Boss, Destroyer, Wraith, Avenger, Roc now was it.
Start with a shark, stratus, cheetah, gazelle, stingray.
Think understable is best for newbies.
Being primarily Innova promoter, pushed the RoadRunner.
It works every time to help that new player develop their throwing. And usually you can see a difference in matter of days playing. The players usually came up and thanked me later for selling them the RoadRunner. After awhile they can move into the more advanced drivers.
Putters, aviars, xd, magnet, challenger, wizard. Stress working with one putter only. What 'feels comfortable.'

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968