www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

We're getting a lot of newbies into the Throw Shop, even after only two weeks of operation - www.throwshop.us - and I'd like to see suggestions for what discs we should help them select.

By inclination, we're suggesting lighter discs and less stable discs. For example, using Innova and Discraft examples, for drivers we would suggest a Valkyrie or Leopard or Avenger SS.

When we can, we get them outside and see what their natural throw tendency is before we recommend. And we also tell them that they can expect to come back and buy more stable discs after they get a little better.

Thoughts?

Tags: disc selection, new, newbies

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You and me both. I've been playing for a year, and I really wish I had my Leopard, Sidewinder, Meteor, and Monarch when I started out. Want to know what one of my first drivers was? A f-ing Avenger. Early putter? A f-ing challenger. Most of my bag was fast, heavy, and overstable. I'm out there wondering why the hell I can't get my discs to fly straight...
A Dx Shark is also pretty good as others suggested.
I'd suggest for them to start out with the Aviar, then upgrade as they see fit
Our local shop Extreme Trends gave really good advice.

After all it is (still) a free market and it is in the best self-intrest of all business owners to give good advice. As an example: Let us say, Bob gave the advice to buy the most expensive disk, after all expensive is good. And let us say I spent $25. Let us all say he has a 100% markup and bought the disk for $12.50 after all the expenses related to the selling the disc (rent, payroll, taxes, insurance, utilities, and an assorted other items) Bob only makes $2.50 for the $25.00 disc. Not a bad profit. However the bad news is, the disk sucked and I no longer go to his store. The bad advice is not in the best self-intrest of the business owner. But the owner has another option.

Suggest that not only do I buy a cheaper disk, I buy a used disk. In this case I bought a $4.00 kite. Let's again assume that the markup is 100%. After all the related expense he makes $.50 (50 cents). However, this time the Kite flew wonderful in my hands and it is a great disk. Not to mention I am only out $4.00. Now I go back, so far this season I have purchased an easy $200 in stuff (Bags, straps, and a bunch of disks). Like wise I have brought in 2 new customers who have spent at least $50.00 each, plus I talk up his store and convince people (at least 5) to buy local, if they have what you want, rather than save $1.00 over the internet. Please notice it is well in the best business intrest of Bob to lose $4.50 on the first sale. He has more than made it up
All new players should pick up a buzzz or similar midrange and throw it almost exclusively until they can throw it correctly and understand why it flies the way they it does for them when they release it.

Then when they have proper form, then they should select a driver that matches their power level.

By almost exclusively I would suggest they also get a putter and whatever it may be stick to it and not bounce between putters.
I hear that! Flx avenger, 175 boss, star destroyer, what the freak man?! when i first started i was so discouraged. it tears your form apart as a beginner to try and throw those heave overstable discs. I been playing for about 8 months and i practice about 1 hour 3-4 times a week and play 2 times and I still can't put them back in my bag. I find a easy disc to control for me right now is a lighter beast. Beasts have worked for us since the beginning and you can utilize it as you develope and it will still have a place in the bag. I got a pile of overstable discs I can't throw yet. Bums me out.
comet in any plastic flys true. I really like it especially to build confidence and develope.
Yes, I agree, and I know how it feels to be new and want to gun it down so if you absolutly HAVE to have a driver just pick up something understable, not crazy understable but something forgiving to less than rightiouse form like ss avenger or xpress.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968