www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm trying to fill a spot in my bag that I desperately need and have narrowed it down to two choices: Champ Gator or ESP/Z Drone. Which one do you like better? I have been throwing my Rocs on a hyzer release for this type of shot for the longest time but I really need a super overstable mid in certain situations. Any thoughts or praise for these discs or suggestions for a better overstable mid?

Views: 1141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I carry both a Star Gator and ESP Drone--the Gator is a slower approach disc while the Drone serves for longer headwind shots...I've never thrown a Pain, but if you want to try it out, buy the Opto plastic--its quite a bit more durable than the pretty gold plastic

HORNET, the end!

Love the hornet!! Whippet is another superoverstable disc I use for midrange and upshots. Wouldn't leave home without it ;)
The vector is pretty overstable.

Go with the Drone.  Right now DD has them in Crystal FLX.  My drone has been the staple disc in my bag.  Actually without this disc I would have had several rounds go to the wayside.  It can't even count how it has saved me.  I have it in every plastic molded so far and it is the most consistent disc I have ever owned....hands down.

Yea I was looking at the Z Drone that Dynamic Discs is offering right now because I'm not too big of a fan of FLX plastic

I want a wind fighter for those certain situations but I also want something that is going to turn predictably every time and turn hard every time

I have also tried the Star Whippet - X !!!  Meat Hook stops at the pin on upshots !!!

Drone fo sho, the drone is the most predictable disc out there. You definatly wont turn it over in any kind of headwind. Also if you throw it low with a good angle and it will skip like a destroyer. I have three of them, 2 flx and 1 DDcryztal flx. I've had one for a year and it still doesn't show any signs of turning over anytime soon. Don't be scared go with a drone, you will thank me later. Also the hornet will turn over in a strong headwind. Good Luck

Before I lost my Z Drone I would flip that thing all the time (no headwind), but it would always come back in the end. I used mine for prominently forehand throws.

I use my 177 GL Pain off the tee all the time and has barely a scratch on it. Still reliably overstable and with lots of glide. Good to about 325' max with slower flight than a driver. It won't flip when thrown flat unless there's headwind, and it handles wind just fine if you keep it hyzer. If you throw it anhyzer it will turn and always flex back. (Champ or Super Roc, Z Wasp)

I also carry a 176 Star Gator because it is stupid overstable and has almost no glide. It will just twist toward the ground or fade. You can throw it as hard as you want, but it won't go past 280'. Reliable distance control, invincible in the wind, and big fade. I don't see any good reason to drop big money on a Champ Gator, and from what I understand the ESP Drone is a very similar disc.

It sounds to me like the Gator (or Drone) is more what you are looking for. Try em all, and keep what gets you birdies!

KC roc

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968