www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've just been throwing for about a month now and I'm still learning how to throw sidearm consistently. About the only disc I throw sidearm is a 175g ESP Meteor. I can throw it about 150' and still get a little turnover, but it "feels" heavy in my hand and when I mis-throw, it wobbles noticably. Does anyone have a suggestion for better disc to learn with?

Thanks,

Tall Tom

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am no expert by any means!I have been playing for about a year.I throw sidearm most of the time(I think its a beginer thing as it feals better)I Think you just need to play with other discs anny and hyzer.I throw the boss,FL(one of my fav..)destroyer,monarch,roadrunner,wraith,orc,and a few other.So I would say just play with different ones find one you like.The wobble in the disc might be a grip issue,i am no expert maybe somewill clarify better than I..hope it help!
Try some 150 class discs, easier on the arm.
FL is a great starter forehand disc if uve got a little snap starting out
try a 160 orc. and after that let us know if your useing 1 finger or 2 for your forehand.
if your using one finger try 2 for better control and less wobble.
Best disc for any beginner is a stable midrange.
I throw a forehand with two fingers. I seem to get more snap but less stability if I keep the fingers together, but my first few forehands were with my fingers apart in a V where I seemed to keep it stable and straight, but no real distance.
165 flick :)
The Innova Viper is a great beginner sidearm disc. I have been throwing flick since 2002 and the Viper was the first one I really was abo learn how to control.
keep workin on the 2 fingers together. i throw a forehand
with 1 finger. took me years to get it right it seemed.
practice,practice,practice.i will often take my bag to
the nearest school with a football field and just throw
for a hour or so.it can sometimes take along time to get
alot of distance on a throw.
Tom,
You probably need work on your form more than a new disc. For a big man, you need to learn to throw a forehand farther than 150 feet if it is your primary drive. Changing discs but keeping the same form is not going to change how far or how well you throw to any significant degree.

In the Battle Creek area Mark Roberts is one of the top players and throws a great forehand. He is on this site, too. Find him and have him show you the basics. You just started playing so now is the perfect time to get some instruction on technique, before you have solidified bad habits. Or come over to Brighton and I will give you a lesson.

The right disc for any player, beginner or expert, depends on the their form and power. Some beginners have great snap and can handle an overstable disc (overstable means it cuts hard in its natural direction at the end of its flight, stable means it goes straight and understable means it cuts hard in the opposite direction at the end of its flight). Many beginners have not yet developed power and will control a stable or understable disc better.

A Meteor is a stable to understable midrange disc. It may be perfect for you at this stage. It may be your favorite disc for the rest of your career even if you win multiple world titles in this sport. Some top Pros use the Meteor as controlled and far gliding anhyzer disc. So the disc is not the problem. I am forehand dominant and don't carry a Meteor only because I like flat topped discs better and use a Buzzz instead. For a driver, something in the Surge family probably would work well for you, or many other discs for that matter. Before you go buy a stack of new discs, try used ones from friends to see what works well for you.

If you are only throwing 150 feet then you are not putting much snap on the disc. For a big man you can expect to at least double that distance with good form.

You mention two things about the disc: it feels heavy and it wobbles. Your disc is not too heavy. Anything from 165 to 175 grams is standard weight for a disc and just fine. Within those 10 grams weight doesn't matter much.

Your disc wobbling is called flutter. Flutter happens on any throw but is more of a problem forehand. Flutter means you are not releasing the disc flat and clean enough. Some amount of flutter is inevitable on a forehand but is something you want to minimize as much as you can. Flutter robs your disc of stability (makes it flip over) and distance. Your grip, form and release all impact flutter and it will take practice to control it.
Mark,

Thanks for the awesome advice. I really appreciate the depth of your response.

I'm not using my forehand to drive long distances. I've been playing mostly at Begg Park in Springfield and there are a couple holes (#9 & #10) that are short dogleg lefts through the trees. I have thrown the Meteor forehand well-enough once this last Sunday where it went about 150-160 and faded to the left just like I wanted to, leaving me a very makeable birdie putt. Last night I just couldn't get enough snap (still a beginner, mind you) and the disc just felt "heavy". I know I'm still very early in my disc golf career (at the young age of 41), but I was wondering if there is a more practical disc to throw sidearm and if I should drop down in weight in order to get that glide from the snap, when I have a snap.

I just may take you up on the offer for instruction and meet in you in Brighton for a round or two.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom,
The easiest way to increase glide is to change from a midrange disc to a driver. Changing weight won't make an appreciable difference. Try a Crush or a Surge for long glide with a strong hyzer finish if one of your buddies has one you can borrow.

The best way (but not the easiest) to improve glide is to improve form.

If you are right handed and playing a short dog leg left hole then the easiest shot is the backhand hyzer, not a forehand anhyzer. A forehand, controlled anhyzer is a very tricky shot with a tiny margin of error. If you want a driver that flips over and glides (anhyzers) try a Z Surge SS, a Rogue or a Flash if you can borrow one.

If you are left handed then the forehand is the perfect shot to develop to handle dog leg left shots ( I refer to these shots as righty hyzer tunnels and they are as common as mosquitoes in a fetid swamp. Alan Beaver, a lefty from North Carolina and a fine Pro player calls them "All-American holes". I love that term. All-American Holes. Some courses are so patriotic that the only shots they have are All-American.)

Come on over to Brighton. Once I see your form I can let you try the discs which most easily adapt to what you are currently doing. And, of course, fix your form if it needs fixing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968