www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

what would be the best driver line up for a starter? Beast, Valk, Firebird or what?

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think a destroyer is good for players to start with.  Its hard to control.  I like it as a sidearm disc and thats it.  I was surprised to find how easy it was to throw the katana, but I had been playing for a while when I got one so it may or may not be a good disc to start with.  Wraiths are good all around drivers but I like DX ones.  Star wraiths fly different to me.

Roadrunner works great for beginners.

The ease of the disc gives you the ability to learn how to get distance and work your way into others like a Wraith......

I say don't give a new player a driver.  Give them a midrange.  Try a Discraft Buzzz, a Latitude 64 Core, or a cough cough Innova Roc.  Get up to about 250' with them and then move up to a driver.
as for discs, i would start with one midrange that you like like a buzz or a roc, learn how to throw that and work your way out from there. Buying too many discs will overall hurt your performance and growth as a player. If you believe that you are already beyond that step, then for drivers i would recommend a valkyrie, or some kind of nice fairway driver, an eagle would work nicely as well. A slightly overstable disc would be a good idea as well such as a surge or even better yet a flash. you should try some different putters to really find one that works for you.

Since I have struggled mainly with throwing the disc flat and building enough arm speed, more overstable discs have posed the most challenge. Understable drivers have allowed me the time to get my game together without everything hyzering to the left to far. I have been using the Champion Monarch and the Avenger SS for most long distance shots. Medium long shotts get the Leopard, and true mids get the Roc or Buzzz.

I also used lighter discs in the beginning to help my speed. I gradually increased the weight on my understable discs and started using lighter weight overstable discs as I got better. I still use a few understable discs in the 172gm range for a lot of shots.

I believe in what ever feels comfortable to make the shots needed to play the game or at least the course you are playing. Heavier more understable discs do not make you a bigger man, they just fight the wind better and some people get better snap with a heavier disc. I have a couple 150gm discs in bag that I can really bomb in calm conditions or when I am shooting down wind.

Start understable and go from there.

DX Leopard.

Break it in and it should fly long and straight.

DX Stingray works great if you are really just starting out, then move into the leopard as your form improves.

Get the lower grade plastic so you can quickly learn and enjoy the benefits of discs being broken in.

Work the lifespans of the discs. As they get broken in, do not replace them, add a new one to them...now you have the flight of your old one and the flight of the broken in one. This can be done with all of your discs, putters, mid-range, and drivers. Example: I carry 4 Cobras...a new one that has a bit of hyzer on the end of the flight, a beat one that flies straight as an arrow, another super beat one that will do a slow burn to the right all the way through its flight, and an ugly beat one that I can use for extreme turnovers, or hyzer late turns as well as rollers (where you try to fly it and it just turns over and becomes a wheel).

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968