www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A few weeks ago I found myself finishing a round in the dark. Luckily I didn't lose any discs. My buddy had one of those pin light beacons taped to his disc. Which got me thinking of getting a beacon, but also using the Glow disc I own but don't use.
I know some use a camera flash to charge their glow discs. But what about a hand held U/V-blacklight deal? I know there are avid night golfers here, so, what's the best, most affordable method?

Tags: Golf, Night

Views: 2386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Camera Flash !!!!
I bought both... I'll post a review.

Peter Kunoff said:
Chas, I have something similar.....it works ok.....however I may have dropped it & the bulb does't emit the light like it used to..... I would recommend upgrading to something more powerful (ie LED not flourescent light source).....see below link. Provides a much more intense and lasting glow, and will even help find non glow discs easily.....these are designed for finding scorpions in the desert or the finding fake ids!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/51-UV-Ultra-Violet-LED-Blacklight-Flashlight-To...|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

if you aren't trusting the ebay stuff, blacklight.com has some good ones, but more expensive than the ebay stuff

Chas Ford said:
I was already looking on eBay trying to replace my UV light. Does anyone have an opinion on the style. I had one of these untill recently. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260342228269... I was looking at the LED UV's as well. I can't remember seeing Z glow. All the Discraft I have is Photon Glow or something of the sort.
Donny Olow said:
Camera Flash !!!!

Is there a reason a camera flash is better?

But, according to these comments I'll probably invest in more glow discs and a LED UV light.
I have a small mini mag light, 9.99 at Home Depot. It works ok on AA's for a cheap alternative. I also have a couple of tactical lights...one being a Surefire Executive Elite, the other a knock-off with a xenon bulbs. These dudes are intense and work great...everything about them is expensive though...the bulb..the batteries.
buy yourself the disc's that have lights in them, u can get them at ur local shop, they make them in drivers, mid ranges and ultimates, they have cool features like pulsaiting on a solid color, staying on solid, or u can get the rainbow of 7 colors changing slowly at diff times on all four lights, they are pretty sweet,
most cellphones have the flash option but really it is an led that stays on and is superbright. I have found that these work really well.
personally i am done with the old style glow discs, the now excepted method of taping mini glow sticks to the bottom or top of the discs you regularly throw for me is the only way to go, the last glow tourney i played in cemented that decision for me, it was a two round glow tourney, the first round i played with the old style glow discs i had ( eagle, roc, aviar and a couple others of which the models elude me at the moment ) as these for the most part were not the usuall models i threw i had a terrible round, the 2nd round i did what most everyone else was doing and taped mini glowsticks to the bottom of my regular discs, all my regular discs were champ or z plastic except my putter which i kept using my glow aviar for that, and i litterally dropped 9 strokes off my 2nd round which put me in 3rd place, i cant help but feel if i had not made the change i would have been close to last place if not last place, and if i had used the glow sticks in the beggining heck i might have won it ! also once you tape the glow sticks on your disc you can pretty much forget about them wheras with the old style glow discs your constantly regenerating them every time you throw them as they generally only hold a charge for about 15 minutes..

oh and as far as affordabillity goes, glow tourneys usually allways have someone selling glow sticks and they are usually only 25 cents apiece, so betime you buy the old style glow discs to match what you throw at present time ( if you can find them ) and invest in a black light, flash, etc. the mini glow stiicks for me is the obviouse choice, but i admitt i am a plastic whore so any excuse to buy extra discs does not neccesarily bother me ( LOL, as if i need an excuse ) but in this case i just like throwing the discs i am familier with. as always this is just my opinion, everyones different and what floats one persons boat might sink anothers.
I wouldn't have thought about using the blacklight flashlight to find the discs. That is excellent!
definitely go to your local halloween store and get a AA operated black light. black lights charge your glo discs to the MAX with a seconds worth of black light. im tellin you, black light illuminates glo stuff better than anything, even if you have a plug in black light and a glo disc nearby, try it and youll see what i mean. the battery operated black lights are about 7-10 dollars, best money youll ever spend in the way of lighting your glo discs.
Wade Sullivan said:
definitely go to your local halloween store and get a AA operated black light. black lights charge your glo discs to the MAX with a seconds worth of black light. im tellin you, black light illuminates glo stuff better than anything, even if you have a plug in black light and a glo disc nearby, try it and youll see what i mean. the battery operated black lights are about 7-10 dollars, best money youll ever spend in the way of lighting your glo discs.

That does sound like the best option for about 10 bucks and batteries. The battery operated...throw in your pocket black light. I'll look for one too. My lights are good for a brief glow...enough to find it. I'll hit it again for the next shot and so on. If it's truely dark, then no problem finding it. If there's a bunch of ambient light then it's harder to spot.
Waterbeds and stuff (I don't know if you have them where you are at) sells a hand held LED black light flash light that is way better than hand held black light tubes.I owne both,its about $15.
DC ( DISCFUNCTIONAL CHRIS ) said:
personally i am done with the old style glow discs, the now excepted method of taping mini glow sticks to the bottom or top of the discs you regularly throw for me is the only way to go, the last glow tourney i played in cemented that decision for me, it was a two round glow tourney, the first round i played with the old style glow discs i had ( eagle, roc, aviar and a couple others of which the models elude me at the moment ) as these for the most part were not the usuall models i threw i had a terrible round, the 2nd round i did what most everyone else was doing and taped mini glowsticks to the bottom of my regular discs, all my regular discs were champ or z plastic except my putter which i kept using my glow aviar for that, and i litterally dropped 9 strokes off my 2nd round which put me in 3rd place, i cant help but feel if i had not made the change i would have been close to last place if not last place, and if i had used the glow sticks in the beggining heck i might have won it ! also once you tape the glow sticks on your disc you can pretty much forget about them wheras with the old style glow discs your constantly regenerating them every time you throw them as they generally only hold a charge for about 15 minutes..

oh and as far as affordabillity goes, glow tourneys usually allways have someone selling glow sticks and they are usually only 25 cents apiece, so betime you buy the old style glow discs to match what you throw at present time ( if you can find them ) and invest in a black light, flash, etc. the mini glow stiicks for me is the obviouse choice, but i admitt i am a plastic whore so any excuse to buy extra discs does not neccesarily bother me ( LOL, as if i need an excuse ) but in this case i just like throwing the discs i am familier with. as always this is just my opinion, everyones different and what floats one persons boat might sink anothers.

I know what you mean. The glow discs aren't usually the "old faithful" discs in our bags. I do have a Glow Tee Bird that is bad ass...but that's it.

I recently learned a trick. With one normal camping style stick you can light a dozen or more discs.

Wear gloves..have a rag handy for spills.

Put a layer of clear packing tape on the disc top or bottom...if it's a clear disc. Cover a 4 inch by 4 inch area or so...maybe slightly bigger. Do this because the fluid will warp the pastic. I havn't tested that theory though!!! lol.

Ok!! put a hole in the stick...I used a 3/16 drill bit with my cordless (kept it neat).

Put a small piece of Tp....no bigger then 2 square inchs on the tape layer....OK!! this is where it could get messy...make sure you got your gloves on and that rag handy. Drip just enough fluid to soak the Tp....quickly put another piece of Tp on top of that...cause you probably got to much on there already! ..and a thicker concentration of soaked Tp is a much deeper glow.

Now with the tape strips you already prepared...did I forget that part? sry....anyway cover the crap out of the wet Tp with plenty of tape (criss-cross)...if you dont or forgot the second chunk of Tp or just got way too much on there anyway...it will leak and fly out making unwanted glow splatter!!! and probably fall off sooner then later....big mess..you'll be pissed!!!

For shits and giggles, you can get creative with shreding or cutting your TP into different shapes and designs. I had this creepy Skull image on my Z breeze last week. Wasn't trying for it...it just kinda appeared.

It works really good if done neatly and keeps the glow stick expense down for everyone....1 dollar..and everybody's got a glow disc...well and there's the tape expense...but one roll would probably last a league all year. It is slightly time consuming..but worth it. IMO.

I also did up my beat-up 170 Champ Beast...it was sail'n. Other then the glow, I didn't notice the tape at all. I could grip it and rip it with the confidence of high noon!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968