www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A few weeks ago I found myself finishing a round in the dark. Luckily I didn't lose any discs. My buddy had one of those pin light beacons taped to his disc. Which got me thinking of getting a beacon, but also using the Glow disc I own but don't use.
I know some use a camera flash to charge their glow discs. But what about a hand held U/V-blacklight deal? I know there are avid night golfers here, so, what's the best, most affordable method?

Tags: Golf, Night

Views: 2540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The handheld LED Blacklight flashlights work great. I have heard of most people getting them on ebay, however I am sure with a little looking around on the net you could find other places to get them. They work great for charging discs, and if your friend's beacon comes off, they make florescent colored discs light up like crazy making them easier to find than with a traditional flashlight without damaging your night vision.
I am somewhat old school ( and have a serious plastic addiction) and have never adopted the taping/securing lights to clear discs. Got a real nice variety of glow discs, mostly innova since discraft no longer makes glow discs. IMO I would buy a nice UV lamp/flashlight powered by a lot(usually between 20-50) of mini LED lights. the flourescent bulb variety flashlights do not charge the discs as well. If you look on ebay and type "UV LED flashlight" you should be able to pick up a nice one for$10-30 with shipping......hope this helps.

as far as glow discs go....I have found getting innova CFR glow discs from local clubs to be the best bet. If you can't find any locally, suggest scouring the internet.

Here is my glow bag:

all innova discs are champ CFRs...
175 wraith( thanks dynamic discs)
173 starfire
175 TL
175 sidewinder
175 firebird
175 aviar
171 orc

rest are discraft photon glow discs(d plastic, unfortunately)
175 buzz
173 beaten/slightly taco'd buzz
177 wasp
174 challenger

still on the hunt for some Z/champ glow mids......would really love a Z glow buzz and wasp!!!!!
The black light is hands down the best way to charge a disc. I have found that if I'm going to play a night round I will put my disc in a room very close to a black light and let it charge all day, then you just have to refresh it towards the end of a round.
UV blacklight will definately charge it up, be brighter, and last longer than a flash charge. I have just been using the LED lights on Z plastic because you don't have to charge it, they are brighter, and you can throw the discs you normally would. Either way you do it, glow golf is always fun!
I have seen glow CE Rocs

Peter Kunoff said:
I am somewhat old school ( and have a serious plastic addiction) and have never adopted the taping/securing lights to clear discs. Got a real nice variety of glow discs, mostly innova since discraft no longer makes glow discs. IMO I would buy a nice UV lamp/flashlight powered by a lot(usually between 20-50) of mini LED lights. the flourescent bulb variety flashlights do not charge the discs as well. If you look on ebay and type "UV LED flashlight" you should be able to pick up a nice one for$10-30 with shipping......hope this helps.

as far as glow discs go....I have found getting innova CFR glow discs from local clubs to be the best bet. If you can't find any locally, suggest scouring the internet.

Here is my glow bag:

all innova discs are champ CFRs...
175 wraith( thanks dynamic discs)
173 starfire
175 TL
175 sidewinder
175 firebird
175 aviar
171 orc

rest are discraft photon glow discs(d plastic, unfortunately)
175 buzz
173 beaten/slightly taco'd buzz
177 wasp
174 challenger

still on the hunt for some Z/champ glow mids......would really love a Z glow buzz and wasp!!!!!
I am old school... I use glow discs and the U/V Blacklight.
Chas Ford said:
I have seen glow CE Rocs

hmmmm, trying hard to resist the urge to go on a plastic hunt........
Is there Z glow Buzzz, and Wasp? I didn't think they made those, all the glow Discraft I have is D and they are unthrown since they aren't making it anymore.

Chas Ford said:
I have seen glow CE Rocs

Peter Kunoff said:
Mike said:
Is there Z glow Buzzz, and Wasp? I didn't think they made those, all the glow Discraft I have is D and they are unthrown since they aren't making it anymore.

Chas Ford said:
I have seen glow CE Rocs

Peter Kunoff said:

I think that they did make them a long time ago (care to chime in Mr. Ellis?).......I know that my buddy, found a Z glow tracker in a regular stack of trackers at Fly this fall, paid like $14 for it.....ever heard of plastic envy????
chas,

you were right.....Champ glow roc here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-05-Ken-Climo-4-X-USDGC-Glow-ROC-179g-Disc-G...

a little pricey for my current budget.
I was already looking on eBay trying to replace my UV light. Does anyone have an opinion on the style. I had one of these untill recently. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260342228269... I was looking at the LED UV's as well. I can't remember seeing Z glow. All the Discraft I have is Photon Glow or something of the sort.
Chas, I have something similar.....it works ok.....however I may have dropped it & the bulb does't emit the light like it used to..... I would recommend upgrading to something more powerful (ie LED not flourescent light source).....see below link. Provides a much more intense and lasting glow, and will even help find non glow discs easily.....these are designed for finding scorpions in the desert or the finding fake ids!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/51-UV-Ultra-Violet-LED-Blacklight-Flashlight-To...|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

if you aren't trusting the ebay stuff, blacklight.com has some good ones, but more expensive than the ebay stuff

Chas Ford said:
I was already looking on eBay trying to replace my UV light. Does anyone have an opinion on the style. I had one of these untill recently. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260342228269... I was looking at the LED UV's as well. I can't remember seeing Z glow. All the Discraft I have is Photon Glow or something of the sort.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968