www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I need some suggestions on how best to clean DisCatcher Baskets. Some local school kids have been writting all over the baskets I just recently installed at a community park, and I would like to remove the graffiti (which appears to have been applied with Sharpies). I tried some Acetone, but the powder coating wanted to come off. Any suggestions on products that might be useful in this situation?

Tags: discatchers, graffitti

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

mr clean magic eraser. perhaps just alcohol or googone
It sucks to hear of stuff being vandalized. Would Goo Gone take off powder coating? I use that to take off sharpie from discs. That might work. I'd use it in a conspicuous area and see if it works. I've never tried it on a DisCatcher Basket though. Best of luck to you.
Mast of the solvents will remove the less then perfect 'powder coating'. I reccommend priming and repainting with new vinyl numbers.
Prime and Repaint is the best solution. One of our local course keepers in Kalamazoo did this. However, it just presented a fresh canvas for those that chose to express themselves on our baskets.
Use a citric acid based cleaner like Citrisolve, it shouldn't remove the powder coating but you may want to do a test spot to be sure.
as long as the surface isnt porous alcohol or something less corrosive should work fine. scouring pad or magic eraser if needed. i dont see the need to repaint them unless paint is damaged or scratched, or somone has painted on them. id try to remove it safely before spending the time painting them.
There are paint additives that are available at various paint stores that are intended for applications like day cares areas that children (or adults) may be tempted to graffiti, you may be able to have a paint tech add them to your paint then spray the baskets through a sprayer instead of a can. I've never tried these on out door applications but I know they work very well on graffiti and puck marks on locker room walls (I use to run an ice rink).

Chas Ford said:
Prime and Repaint is the best solution. One of our local course keepers in Kalamazoo did this. However, it just presented a fresh canvas for those that chose to express themselves on our baskets.
Citrus based cleaners shouldn't hurt the powder coating...I wouldn't use anything abrasive like a scouring pad though.
Is that at the sherwood forrest course?
We just need somthing like in the "Naked Gun" (you know, the anti-graffiti wall). If you havent seen it, as soon as the kids start to spray it the wall spays them back. That would be great.

I guess you can try to clean it off, but they will probably mark it back up again if they are in that area as much as it sounds like. You may be better off in the long run if you can find a coating that will allow you to clean it off easily when it happens in the future.
Proper way . Take to a Sanblast shop , totally strip in down , then Chrome Plate !!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968