www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

It is with sad eyes and a broken heart that I must tell everyone that we have lost truly a great man and a member of the Frisbee Family. Big Daddy Dave Griffin #1414 lost his battle with Leukemia this past weekend. As details become available I will post them here and on the blog we have started. Memorial funds and Scholarships are being set up as soon as our eyes have dried out...
Virginia States this year will have a special memorial service at some point I am sure...Please say tuned!

I am asking if any of you all have photos that you would like to share I am collecting them for the family and for a memorial slide show…

Rest in peace and fly high Big Daddy we love you!!

Official Blog is now up and ready for your input.
http://flyhighbigdaddy.blogspot.com/

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey now, my condolences to his family and the dg family.
Very sorry to hear of his passing & please give his friends & family my best. For those of us not in the know which guy is he in the pic? May God Bless, Dendog
Dendog, Dave is on the left.
Scott, the pic of the angel with Daddys mini made me cry. I am gonna frame it and put it in my Frisbee room with his mini that I have. What awesome pics from Daddys life and some of the shady characters he hung around with. LOL. Really, I see alot of faces I know and love in those shady characters. Thanks for sharing the pics with all of us.
I am really sorry to read that Dave Griffin has passed. I first met him in the early 1980s when I was trying to qualify for the Wham-O World Frisbee Championships (WFC). I enjoyed getting to know him when we would bump into each other at tournaments. There were 2 pictures of Dave with Cap'n Snap and others. The first pic was Snap and crew jammed into his rental car in Sweden in 1985. That may have been the time that Mike gave me a ride in the trunk. The second pic was at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen.

I am truly sorry for your loss. He was a great guy.
I will miss Dave. He was a great inspiration to many Frisbee players, and a truly unselfish person.

After the news got around we decided to tell our best Dave Griffin stories. I actually have 2.

The first was at the Eastern open at Bull Run. I was in a foursome with Dave and I can't remember who else. There was one long hole with a sharp dogleg to the right. About 250ft out at the start of the dogleg there was a tall flag pole. Daddy looked at me and said "If you hit that flag pole I'll buy you a giant hot fudge sundae at Carl's. Well not only did I hit it, but I split my eclipse into 2 pieces so perfectly that we could not decide which was the larger piece. The next time I saw Dave I reminded him about the shot and he paid his debt.

The other story involved a missing 1986 Cherry Blossom Tournament disc that someone stole from his car the day of the tourney. One year during Va. States, Dave walked into my house and immediately walked over to the black Cherry Blossom disc hanging on my wall. "WHERE DID YOU GET THIS '' he asked. "I won it" I replied. He did not believe me, and thought he had solved the missing disc mystery. Not wanting everyone in my house thinking I was the thief, I had to get out my old ''airwaves" magazines and show him the results. I won the "expert" division that he had created for that tournament, and that black disc was the trophy.

My condolences to all of his friends and family. Jen I hope to see you at states this year.
OMG.....I'm so sorry to hear this news.......Big Daddy showed me my first disc....back when i was throwing frisbees..hahaha.I used to throw with him @ Calvert......I will miss him emensely...... I can hear him ringing chains up there right now........
This will be the first spring I haven't seen Big Daddy for many years. Dave was so easy to reconnect with - it was as though you had just been hanging with him yesterday even if it had been a year or more.
I met Dave at Sedgley Woods in....1978? (I'm guessing) and would always catch up with him at the VA States, Bull Run, OCTAD, maybe even the Amherst NAS events. He was working in radio when we first met, he introduced me to his friend Dan Thessen at Bull Run and we all had a great time on that little pitch & putt course (I think Dan shot a 37 that year!). Dave and I roomed together at the 1981 AFDO in Rochester - I was hoping to get enough points to get to the Rose Bowl (I think Dave qualified that weekend) but that became less than likely when I injured myself freestyling Friday night. I was a little down about that but he told me I would get to Pasadena some day (little did we know that 1981 would be the last Rose Bowl year). He turned out to be right when my friend John Burt asked if I wanted to ride out to Long Beach with him. We reveled in the greatest assembly of disc players imaginable for a week, and though I didn't get to compete I was thrilled to have witnessed it.
I am so happy he got a chance to make it to the VA States last year - though he had obviously been through one hell of a struggle it was great to see him in his element again.
When we all get to Frisbee Valhalla, I am betting it will look a lot like Shelter H.
Rest in peace, my friend.

Ken Reynolds

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968