www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So i've been working on my backhand, using the grip Feldberg shows in his clip on YouTube, and I'm getting blisters on the pad of my pointer finger... I have been throwing a lot of drives a day, so i didn't know if it was just that i was throwing too much, or if i'm missing something on my grip. Also i noticed that Nate Doss tapes that spot on his finger... So is this a common problem?

Thanks for your input.

Views: 540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to use electrical tape. Flexes and stays on. Some I have seen use small pieces of duck tape or surgical tape.
All I can say is try it and see if it works for you !!!!
I use paper tape on the tip of my finger. You can get it @ the pharmacy in the band aid section. I wrap it 4 times around. It works very good. That's what Doss uses. I learned it from Mark Ellis.
So it's a common problem?

Eirik said:
I use paper tape on the tip of my finger. You can get it @ the pharmacy in the band aid section. I wrap it 4 times around. It works very good. That's what Doss uses. I learned it from Mark Ellis.
I've only had that happen a few times. and it's been when I havent played for awhile and come back and play a LOT all of a sudden.

just like getting calluses when playing guitar. so no big deal really IMO.
When I started playing I was immediately hooked and played constantly and started getting blisters on several spots on my throwing hand so I taped them. I remember asking one of the Pros I learned from (Mark Bethel) if he needed to tape his fingers when he started. Mark worked construction and his hands were scarred and calloused and had a few recent still-healing gashes. Mark asked incredulously, "Did I tape my fingers to protect them from Frisbees? Frisbees!! You lawyers must have soft hands."

I tape the pad of my middle finger on my throwing hand with paper tape before every round to prevent callouses from forming. Dr. Rick Voakes taught me this. It works great.
Humm... either I'm doing something right that you guys aren't... or I'm doing something very wrong... I don't get them and I didn't get them in the past. Course I grew up in the country where everything was done by hand... I just don't know. Doesn't the tape get in the way though? I hate having things on my hands where I can't feel exactly what's going on.
I have a callus on my index finger, never have gotten a blister. It doesn't bother me at all, and I've never taped up any finger. But if I did tape up a finger, I'm sure it would be crude looking as well. I'm a remodeler who works with his hands a lot, so that has most likely helped me in that sense.
I'm guessing it's a fairly common situation, several people in my club have mentioned having calluses... Haven't seen anyone taping up though, maybe its the Colorado air, or water, or somethin'.
Thanks for the tape tips fellas, went and threw a bunch today, even after having a blister yesterday and not a problem 1...
My friends & I have been calling that "Frisbee Finger" for about the last 40 years.....

I always thought it came from the gouges & abrasions that happen from tree strikes & asphalt or cement skips on the rims.....

I always use fine sandpaper my rims after a day on the course & wear paper surgical tape or a bandaid on the contact points of my fingers.....
I read an excerpt from a book or an article or something describing the medical condition "Frisbee Finger." Funny stuff. I've had decent luck using "New Skin"/"Liquid Bandage" as a short-term blister solution.

Rod Graham said:
My friends & I have been calling that "Frisbee Finger" for about the last 40 years.....

I always thought it came from the gouges & abrasions that happen from tree strikes & asphalt or cement skips on the rims.....

I always use fine sandpaper my rims after a day on the course & wear paper surgical tape or a bandaid on the contact points of my fingers.....
It's coming from the friction of the disc ripping out of your hand. I get the same thing on the inside pad of my ring finger. I have just got used to it and built up a callus ove the past 10 years. I've had instances where it's ripped open and drawn blood. I've even gone up and had blood on my discs before. It's just a blessing and a curse of throing hard. I've noticed it becoming more of a common problem with the adaptation of fast plstic. People are trying to throw these discs a lot harder than the old ones. Peace

Andrew Rich
I reallly appreciate this topic. As I type, it is painful because of my new blood blister from today. When I talked to locals, I came to the conclusion that my grip was bad and I would have to learn an entirely new way of gripping the disc (despite my current grip working well for me). What a relief to find out that this is not extremely uncommon. I will try taping. I would be interested in seeing a picture of someone's taped finger to know how they are doing it. Of course, I can just learn from trial and error.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968