www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Lately I've been in the process of breaking in a brand new Star Katana. Tonight I took it in hand and smashed the edge of it into a block wall. Then I threw it and parked a hole with it.

How do you enjoy breaking in that new disc? I have been throwing mine into the ground and also standing on it. And the aforementioned block wall smashing. Any ideas?

Do you also think that you break in to a disc as well? I know that is one thing that is happening with this new disc. I'm figuring it out.

Views: 1376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've found that throwing into a cyclone fence works great. It peppers the edges well, but it also doesn't totally mangle it. Like trees, cement and rocks do.
Yeah, the block wall had some nice cement caps on it that I could just mash the edge of the disc into without ruining it. I also just threw it straight down at the ground. No damage to the disc, only a little persuasion. I see people bend them all the time but that bothers me for some reason.
Ya, a friend of mine will boil a big pot of water and then, put the pot on top of his disc. He then leaves it that way overnight. He says it softens the plastic and flattens the tops. I think I'll pass on that one!
Unless you are making tea.
i just use it ill throw a shot on a hole tell my buddys to wait a sec and then throw the new disc into a tree or somesort of obstacle to beat it in that way i can see what it does new and watch it progress though the breaking in process!
someone told me once to throw a disc in the clothes dryer. Never tried it, thought I'd let someone else confirm that worked before I gave it a shot.
A good friend of mine swears by rubbing discos (Did I just give him away?) on carpet. Both sides but mostly the top. He says it softens and flattens them. I prefer to just throw the crap out of them until they're nice and reliable.
When ever I dye a disc, it comes out gummier than before. I'm not gonna say it's soaking it in the dye that makes it softer, since the dye isn't that warm in the first place. I think when I use acetone to remove the original logo, the acetone also softens it up.
Yup, same here. Acetone make the disc really malleable and depending on how you rub with the acetone (I use cloth) it creates all these cool little minute scratches on it that you can't see but it changes the surface area making it nice and grippy. Also the adhesive residue from whatever you use to mask helps.
I tend to keep my discs nice and dirty for a good grip.
I like to use the disc as an overhand for awhile or sometimes I'll stand in front of a big tree and go to town.
I cant stand the sharp feeling of the flashing left on the edges of the discs during the molding proccess. I always take off the flashing with a razorblade or some light sand paper. I like to taco the discs too. just rotate the disc in your hands, bending it into a taco shape almost touching opposite ends of the rim.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968