www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I would like to know the different styles of breaking in new plastic. I have been told to bend the edge around the disc over and over. Been told to take it and beat it on a tree. Some just take them and let time do the work. do you speed up the break in time. One guy puts new discs on the seat of his car and sits on them....sorry but my discs would fly like shit LOL.

Views: 14

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So true!
Well the disc i have are new ones of the ones of the ones that got stolen
But i know they will get to a point that they are just as good as the old ones that are gone
I know some of the advice i was gave to me was from a tour pro so it cant be all bad but some was from dudes that wack there disc and mabey there heads on trees that you have to take with a grain of salt
First put the disc in the oven at 450 for 1 hour. Then put the studded snow tires on the car and run the disc over a few times. Follow that with an acid bath and you should be good to go. Just kidding.

I find that Star plastic is very good and stays that way. The only stuff that I have that really changes is the DX TeeBird and so I just end up buying a few of those every year. A little wear on those is good but too much and they don't come back. They definitely have a sweet spot for wear. The one that I use now is really good.

Sidewinders are good right away. Love the Star TeeBird as well. The only Champion plastic I own is a Banshee.
I usually just let the disc break in on it's own, but a lot of times I'll just bend the rim a little on known overstable discs.
Some really nicely "broken in" off the shelf discs to try (or I could have just said, understable discs) are the discraft meteor, discraft glide, and latitude 64 vision (gold line). All of them are what I'd call "useably understable" discs. They give you a little help getting them turned over and stay that way for much of the flight and yet they aren't like some discs that will just turn and crash into the ground immediately.
I tend to let time do the job, but if the opportunity shows itself. I have tossed it into a park bench a few times. As for the trees......See the first part of my post. It's just a matter of TIME before the trees break it in for me lol!
you said "rub it down"
who is phil and tiger?
tour pro's give all kinds of bad advice. You may be lucky to have found one that gives good advice.
acid is not for discs, it's for your brain. Star Teebird's are the greatest. Do you think they have a long lasting sweet spot? I sure do.
Disc bending leads to the disc performing different than it would if naturally broken in. Maybe thats what your going for. Chains, good snap (cause this does wear out the disc when it's spinning super fast), contact with the ground and moderate tree wacking are great ways to get a natural breaking in of a disc. I would definately avoid anything that cuts a disc like brick walls, cement, sharp metal (lets smooth the metal on the baskets please), rocks, and gravel and stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968