www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am entertaining the idea of making my own line of baskets.  I am good business friends with one of the best fabricators, he does much more expensive work for our family business.  I trust that he can make the highest quality baskets.  I have given him my own blueprints based on the PDGA standards and I would like him to make me baskets for my course.  These baskets will be as nice as the mach series and I would like them to be PDGA approved for sanctioned tournament play.  Is this even possible.  It would save me a TON of money. 

The info I have found is misleading.  It looks like each basket would need to be sent out at a fee of 150 dollars to be certified. 

Now if that is true, I would like to know if I can be trained to certify them?  That may be cheaper..

I think ultimately, my goal is to have an online business selling baskets at a discounted price.  I think that I can make a better basket cheaper than the competition.  What do you guys think about it?

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brother, you can't dog my baskets.
I invite the world to come and play the disc king and the floyd eye baskets here at Wildapple! I have both here, and I love them both! From what I have seen, everything said here about the business aspects is "on the money"! ;-)
The world is not in great need of another basket on the market. The world IS in great need of a new basket design which reliably catches solid putts to the center of the chains.
That is more true than anything else in DG currently. I can't tell you how many times in the last few tournaments I have played where birdie putts of mine have hit center chains and gotten kicked out (a few were as short as 10-15ft putts that were barely tossed).
Maybe it is the disc design and not the basket... Or maybe to quote a great man, "It's the Indian, not the arrow"
I don't think he is trying to start a basket line guys...I think he wants to make his own course but ensure that the baskets he installs can be PDGA approved in case he would like to run tournaments....that's all. I don't think he is trying make a new company for baskets. He said he had one fabricator to make him a run of baskets to use for HIS course. But I do second what Mark said. I know it's something Feldberg has talked about. He thinks it hurts the sport...you hit a 60ft putt dead center and it bounces out. What do people think...I mean you accomplished what you were trying to do and it still didn't stick. The only problem with making a whole new target is that there are thousands of courses out there now...none of which really have money to change catchers...I think a new kind of chain configuration would work better. It could be used on all of the old baskets. Not to mention you spend a couple of hundred bucks on a whole course as opposed to thousands. Just a thought for Mark. It's all in the chains man....netting...coated metal...rubber chains? That's is where the answer for our problem is....chains.
if your goal is to hit the chains dead center i think your playing the game wrong. the goal is to hole out in as few strokes as possible, and feldbergs putts wold be more likly to stick if he hit the sweet spot 3 inches to the right of the pole (him being he is a righty)instead of dead center. way back in the day there were no chains and no one complained.
People complained. That's why we have chains. I'd agree with Josh and Mark. Some combination of the chains and center pole configuration could yield a better result.
He did state that his ultimate goal was to start an online business selling targets at a discounted price.
Ive seen people who use the turbo putt. I dont know who makes it but the wavey outside seems to catch the chains.
Not to bust your bubble but there are a few companies out there already. Its a very brutal market. I have a friend that has been building baskets for some time. He makes more money installing courses than selling baskets. I always wish the best for anyone going into a disc golf area. So good luck and good venture.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968