www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Im a 5'2" chic who plays disc golf with mainly guys. they seem to throw way farther. can i learn to throw that far or is it just the guy muscles

Views: 325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surely you jest...and don't call me Shirley:) I think strength is important...but I also think form is the most important. Learn to throw stright away from your chest, snapping the disc like you would a towel. When you get that motion down, I think you will find yourself throwing a lot farther. To me though, straight and flat is more important than far in a lot of cases. Anyway, live long and throw far...and have fun:)
Well yes, guy muscles is a big deal. I have the same problem because I'm an old guy. By the time I discovered disc golf I'd already started losing muscle, so I've never been the longest guy off the tee. I used to worry and practice for additional drive distance, but I didn't gain much distance. With all my practice time going toward trying to increase distance my scores didn't improve until I switched and started practicing my putting.

Work on your drive until it is consistent, then start working on your short game if you want to lower your score.
There are two components to distance, strength and technique. Good technique (getting rid of bad habits and adopting better ones) will definitely increase your distance. Strength can be worked on in any number of ways including using some training aids. If you get your body in prime shape and learn good technique then who knows how far you will be able to throw.

I just turned 50 this year and I have never been a bomber. So I have to learn how to play my game. It's not always about distance although distance never hurts (unless you are always blowing past the basket).
Sort answer:NO. However some women can throw farther than some men. It's not how you play - It's who you bet!

I was explaining to a woman which muscles were the most important in DG and she said "You mean the Bachelor Muscle?"

Yes
Hey Janelle, I bumped a topic for you about a youtube disc golf video for women. There I write a mini novel about women and throwing. Don't let the guys discourage you. While pro women will probably not throw as far as pro men there are many pro women who throw farther than a whole lot of guys.

A lot of it has to do with upper body lower body. Where men are upper body dominant women are lower body. This is why women's floor gymnastics are more popular than men's because men can't do the cool stuff the ladies can although they can do stuff the ladies can't at the same time. If you can find some videos of women driving you'll begin to see the differences.

FYI I believe that good putting relies heavily on lower body strength which is where women will have the advantage. Besides how many people do you see with a decent drive that can't sink the shot they need. The game is made and broken in putting, nice driving just helps.

DRIVING IS TECHNIQUE DEPENDENT. Muscle helps but technique defines it. Take away Avery Jenkins size and he'll still toss 500ft shots. Take away his form and his muscle won't matter.

My gf FHs about 280 with so so technique. As she refines it I think she could push 350... maybe further if Blake T's sekrit technique stuff works out.
Muscle mass will help, but one of are groups bigges throwers is 5 foot nothing. I would also bet he doesn't have much muscle mass. It's his quickness and technique. That enable him to throw so far. Like they say (whoever "they" is). It's 80% technique and 20% power.
Another great example. I was at the KOA Tournament in Willits, CA. I was already done for the day. So I thought I'd tag along with my friends wife since she plays pro divsion. She was teamed up with Burl and Val Jenkins (had no idea who they were at the time). Mind you this was done by guesstamet, but they out drove me on every hole. It wasn't even close!
watch,showdown at hornings hideout,these two girls can drive big,and they have better form then some guys...its on youtube,,,this is a great video watch it
Brad Hammock is only 5'4 and throws well over 400' so size isn't as big an issue as you'd think. It helps, but technique is a far bigger deal. Take this for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_VF8zDY1RA&feature=channel

Courtney McCoy showing how it's done.
I started playing about 2 1/2 months ago after my brothers in law kinda goaded me into it, I'm 50, 6'4" , 290#'s and have been an avid traditional archer for quite a while, I can shoot 100# recurves and longbows with my 30" draw all day long....and in my younger days was an avid weightlifter......I really thought this would be a great advantage in throwing those scrawny little "frisbees"...........and I couldn't have been more wrong!!! I tried throwing all kinds of different ways, and sidearm was the only way I could get any distance, and that wasn't anything to brag about, so I tried throwing as hard as I could... and threw my arm out..........but, in doing that I learned that technique was the real key, and now I'm practicing that and if the strength will ever be an asset, it will only be so after I get my technique down... so hang in there and practice your form.... it's working for me.......
that made me chuckle. lol
100# recurve... damn it. What did your groupings look like at distance? At 6'4" I bet you have one heck of a wing span for some wild shooting.
Well Chris on a good day all shots in a 10" circle at 40 yds.... but in 3-d comp I shoot 70-74#'s and practice on ping-pong balls at 20 yds......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968