www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Have you ever reached a plateau of sorts by not being able to shoot lower than a certain score at a course? Let me explain a little....My plateau is 66 at my home course. It doesn't seem to matter how well I play, I just can't seem to break past 66. My past 8 rounds have been 70,66,67,66,68,67,66,67.
Everytime it seems as though I will post a lower score I mess something up...short an easy putt, shank an upshot, throw a drive deep in the shule, etc. I purposely don't look at my score through the round and just play each shot and each hole individually to keep the pressure off me. Have you gone through this and how did you make the breakthrough?

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you have truly stabilized and aren't improving, your stats would indicate that 65 is likely 1 in 20 rounds and a score better than that about 1 in 40 rounds. If you're improving, then you'll have better odds.
Play doubles. Then if your score fails to improve you can just blame your partner. :)

I have never put much emphasis on scores in a singles rounds which are not in tournaments. Unless it is under pressure, it doesn't really matter.

I wonder if you are placing too much emphasis on this particular course (it is sort of hard to know from far away, having never seen you play). If the only course in the world was this particular course then all you would have to do is master those 18 drives (and make putts) to become a great player. By playing the same course in the same game (singles) it is possible you are just learning to dial in a select few shots. By playing more courses and creating your own holes and making up unique games you might be able to more effectively improve your overall game.

Julian Korver has a great line: Learn shots, not holes.

It is also possible you need new competition. It sounds like you are competing against yourself and that barrier of 66. Perhaps if you played against a player much better than you, you might have to break 62 to win.

Improvement occurs when it does not when we wish it. As we get better we hit plateaus then jump up a level. Keep trying. Keep practicing.

Your page would suggest you haven't played many tournaments. Nothing will lift your game like a steady diet of tournaments.

No, my personal hell comes in the form of a birdie block. When tournament time rolls around, it seems that I can sink long putts with ease for par, but when attempting a shot of comparable distance for birdie, it goes through the chains or dinks into the side of the basket. Only recently have I begun to make progress with this psychological absurdity. The key is not taking the situation too seriously, but concentrating on each and every shot to make your game as good as it can be. Find your "happy place" (Happy Gilmore) and you'll eventually overcome the the dreaded 66.
I am in the same situation. MY pb is 60, and I just cant get past it. I have just quit trying to beat it everytime I go out now.
I just try to improve my form and my shot selections. Eventually the consistancey of my game will come around and I will set a new pb.
Try getting up on the other side of the bed, no just kidding. I can remember being there once, sometimes taking a break from the course can help. If not, I would look at how you choose shots. Maybe being more conservative with approaches and putts could shave a few strokes. Putt down to the hole when going for it (high to low). I'm not sure of your style, so I hope that helps.
I stayed away from one of my local courses for about two weeks, then went back yesterday and improved my best score by two strokes.(?) I also have been experimenting with different putters, I pulled my old favorite back out and it worked great. I hadn't used it in about a week and a half.(?)
Once I had a course where I was stuck at trying to break par several years ago, I just kept working at it 'til I barely passed. Once I did, it was such a relief that it seemed as though I was soon disappointed every time I didn't go under. I also tend to put a lot of pressure on myself, knowing this, I try to do anything I can just to relax while playing.
Sounds like an effect of putting pressure on yourself, you get nervous when you get close to beating your PB. I do the same thing, it sucks.
Im sittin at about a 59 average on my home course! But it does seem like no matter how bad i feel like im shooting for the round it is still right around that average. Then I will shoot a round that feels like an awesome round but when I calculate my score at the end.... its still right there around 59
ROFL!!! How high were you guys, the dog's wearing glasses and there is an adult in the background riding a childs toy, very funny pic!

Big Rub said:

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone!!! I really appreciate it. Don't take this as arguing, but I really think that I play very loose during the rounds I play. I purposefully do not look at my total score throughout the round so I will play each shot as it is and don't end up putting pressure on myself. I figure my score is my score.

Del- I feel the same way as you in that there are rounds where I feel like I played horribly and when we add up the scores it is a 66 and then there are rounds where I feel like I am playing great and.......66.

Mark- You're probably right, I haven't been playing other courses enough lately. I'll have to get out to more of the area courses that will force me to throw different shots and just play differently. I will say that from my first PDGA tournament back in June where I shot much worse, the PDGA tournament recently in October on the same course I shot 66 and 68. I do want to play more tournaments next year as this year was my first year playing competitively. I really want to thank you for all the help you have been to me with your videos and from many of your responses to others questions that I have taken advice from as well. You are a great asset to this sport.

Again thanks for everyones responses and advice. I will be sure to use it all to my advantage. Just think, your advice could one day help me beat you in a tournament. Hehe.....happened to me in my last tournament. You all rock!!!
mark ellis said:
Play doubles. Then if your score fails to improve you can just blame your partner. :)

I have never put much emphasis on scores in a singles rounds which are not in tournaments. Unless it is under pressure, it doesn't really matter.

I wonder if you are placing too much emphasis on this particular course (it is sort of hard to know from far away, having never seen you play). If the only course in the world was this particular course then all you would have to do is master those 18 drives (and make putts) to become a great player. By playing the same course in the same game (singles) it is possible you are just learning to dial in a select few shots. By playing more courses and creating your own holes and making up unique games you might be able to more effectively improve your overall game.

Julian Korver has a great line: Learn shots, not holes.

It is also possible you need new competition. It sounds like you are competing against yourself and that barrier of 66. Perhaps if you played against a player much better than you, you might have to break 62 to win.

Improvement occurs when it does not when we wish it. As we get better we hit plateaus then jump up a level. Keep trying. Keep practicing.

Your page would suggest you haven't played many tournaments. Nothing will lift your game like a steady diet of tournaments.
Jay K said:
Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone!!! I really appreciate it. Don't take this as arguing, but I really think that I play very loose during the rounds I play. I purposefully do not look at my total score throughout the round so I will play each shot as it is and don't end up putting pressure on myself. I figure my score is my score.

Del- I feel the same way as you in that there are rounds where I feel like I played horribly and when we add up the scores it is a 66 and then there are rounds where I feel like I am playing great and.......66.

Mark- You're probably right, I haven't been playing other courses enough lately. I'll have to get out to more of the area courses that will force me to throw different shots and just play differently. I will say that from my first PDGA tournament back in June where I shot much worse, the PDGA tournament recently in October on the same course I shot 66 and 68. I do want to play more tournaments next year as this year was my first year playing competitively. I really want to thank you for all the help you have been to me with your videos and from many of your responses to others questions that I have taken advice from as well. You are a great asset to this sport.

Again thanks for everyones responses and advice. I will be sure to use it all to my advantage. Just think, your advice could one day help me beat you in a tournament. Hehe.....happened to me in my last tournament. You all rock!!!
I agree with Mark,play with people that are better than you and watch your game improve.I hit a wall when I first played raquetball,then played with players that were much better and it helped.I would add always be aware of your "mental game" Tiger Woods has been quoted expressing he likes to keep the garbage out, only possitive thoughts and affirmations.

Jay K said:

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968