www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I went and played a round at Cass Benton the other day. Cass Benton is an awesome course with a great mix of open and wooded holes with many long drives. It is the course where I learned to play, and learned to love the sport of disc golf.
Over the past years I have slowly seen the decline of the course, the vandalism on the rise, and the garabage taking over.
The course is free to play so it attracts very large numbers of people to play there.
I went there to play for the first time this year, and it made me sad. Anywhere that you could possibly spray paint or tag with a marker it was deffinitly marked up. The signs for the tees used to be really nice now basically every single one has been drawn into the shape of a penis. I am sure that it is not really that funny. At least anyone that I have ever played with never thought it was.
The worst part is a Huge boulder (at least the size of a car) between the tees on hole 14 some spary painted smoke cronic on it in huge letters. I don't understand why anyone would want to destroy the park this way. The forest floor has no foliage on it what so ever anymore and it is just packed down dirst where the erosion is causeing all the trees to become uprooted and fall over. We need to protect our parks. I feel that this kind of behavior can cause this course to be taken away from us. Maybe the local club need to take some ownership for there course.
Playing at Cass Benton Made Me sad and angry.

Tags: Benton, Cass, Discgolf, Northville

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

" A $150 ticket for drinking usually gets a persons attention - and hopefully drives them away!"

That was the point I was hinting at, if these people had to start forking over $150 at a pop that would cut into their beer or weed money, plus if there was a police presence at the park on a regular basis they would tend to stay away.Ratting out people is one thing but keeping your course clean and the families that use the safe is justified in my book.
The really sad thing about this is that Cass' reputation is obviously starting to turn. From playing a round with you earlier this year, Paul, I was thinking I needed to motivate myself to get out and play it. But everything I've read everywhere else about how trashed it has become has made me think "Eh, I'll play somewhere else". Sad for a course that, at least at one time, was regarded as one of the better courses in the area.
It'd be great if a tree would fall on some of those punk kids out there.
One actual solution is to re-design the course, possibly using the land across the street. Multiple pin positions this time to change up monthly reducing erosion, and flush tee pads to prevent erosion around them.
1. I feel your pain, I too learned to play and love disc at Cass. 2. Pigs aren't the answer, you said it yourself, we don't need anymore trash at Cass. People are either going to have to be responsible for themselves (not gonna happen) or they will pull it (We've already lost Micheal we can't bare to lose Cass) 3. The land across the street is a cross country track course that the schools in the area use; including colleges. I've looked across the road at those hills many times planning holes in head.
yeah, everytime I go there it's a little sadder than the previous visit.

Really a shame too, for such a great course.

The worst part is somehow the drainage issues are the least of the worries out there.....and it's far from a small problem.
Wayne county is broke as a joke. Sadly i do not see them coming out anytime soon to do any work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968