www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been trying to get my girlfriend to throw straight and consistent.  She has problems grip locking and throwing the disc 90 degrees left, she has even thrown it behind herself.  I bought a couple of rattlers thinking that would help, but she has issues with that disc sometimes as well.

What is your opinion on using catch discs to help with form, technique, and the smooth fluidity of throw and how well do you think it'll transfer to throwing discs?  I've pretty much killed her bag of any drivers and all she has now is Rocs, Buzzzs, Comets, FLX Challengers, and Glides...and of course putters.

I was hoping to get some catch discs even if it doesn’t seem to help her.  I’ve seen sooooo many on the market and have no idea what to get, what are you favorite(s) and the most popular.  Also, any tips or differences with ultimate discs?

Tags: Catch, discs, ultimate

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Team Super G warms up with a fastback.
The disc is small, light and understable so it teaches you how to put a little hyzer angle on it for it to fly straight...similar to broken in golf discs.
Best disc to throw into the wind and have it come back to you (MTA).
Flies like a dream for short or long shots.
Now Hero makes the fastback with Champion plastic so it lasts forever, it is the SuperHero!
They have a smaller version of it called the SuperSonic.
The Star Version is called a Superstar.
There is a DX version of this miniature fastback called a Sonic.
The Sonic or Supersonic fit inside the Superhero to set up for Double Catch.
The discs will split apart half way to the catcher allowing them to go for the double catch and eventually triple catch.

I use a 150 sonic, it works great for catch. playing catch is a great way to warm up.
I really really like the Sonic as discribed above...very straight and very easy to learn with..but buy a couple they tend to break along the rims in the DX
Which of these discs are PGDA approved? Just curious as I might want to use them in tourneys if I like them outside the game.
If you have any questions on approved discs:
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_discs_12309.pdf

I like playing catch with my Ultimate discs and you will rarely find me without one in my car, but I'm not sure I'd play with them in tourneys. That's just me though.
All of them are PDGA approved.
Some of the players on Team Super G use a DX Sonic. It holds the curve you release it with...

You're full of info and let downs Chris, you're killing me bro :*(

You coming to Edan's doubles tourney in a few weeks?
Your girlfriend's griplock problems notwithstanding, the Rattler is the best catch disc made.

For short range upshots without nasty winds, the Rattler is the best disc made.

These are only my opinions, of course.

Don't give up on the disc because of operator error.
I have used these since summer of 2009
That is the same thing that I thought, that is one reason I got the Rattler because it seems to bridge the gap. I just thought that a bigger disc might be easier for her. Maybe we just need to spend time in an open field (when the snow melts) and just throw the Rattler till our arms fall off.

I'm just looking for solutions because she tries so hard. We go to open fields all the time and throw and she gets frustrated because she doesn't feel that she is improving or improving fast enough for the time spent. I just want her to enjoy the game like myself and have her learn to throw flat and straight.

Currently I bought her comets, buzzzs, glides, challengers, rocs, aviars, etc and she'll belt a good one out now and then, but she seems to hyzer them out, turn them over bad, or grip lock like hell.

Any other tips to help her out who have gone through this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. I'm all ears as myself and many of my friends have helped her. I just think that at some point you get enough knowledge and then just go do it till you figure it out. I don't if the method of learning is or will work for her.

I just want to grow the sport and get more women involved as there is a quite the lack of here in Alaska. Of course, because it is my girlfriend and I want us to have more than one thing to enjoy together.
So how long has she been playing? For most it seems to take several months. So maybe all she needs is patience as well as time and practice?
She played a little bit last year, pretty inconsistent for the most part as far as practice. She has already played twice as much this year. I've seen modest improvements in her game, I just told her that it takes practice. I just started in May of last year in Int. and moved up to advanced towards the end of the season, but I did practice a ridiculous amount.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968