www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is a poll for amateurs who already play PDGA tournaments:

1. Yes or No: 

Do you wish there were inexpensive PDGA sanctioned tournaments where you could play for PDGA ratings, PDGA points, trophies and bragging rights, but no prize payouts?

2. Yes or No:

If it were on a good course you like to play, would you play a PDGA sanctioned tournament for a $5 entry fee (non-members add $10) where you would be playing for PDGA ratings, PDGA points, trophies and bragging rights, but no prize payouts?

3. Yes or No:

As opposed to the tournament described in question 2,if it were on a good course you like to play, would you play a PDGA sanctioned tournament for a $15 entry fee (non-members add $10) where you would be playing for PDGA ratings, PDGA points, trophies and bragging rights, but no prize payouts, but you would also receive a premium plastic Innova or Discraft disc of your choice as a player pack?

To help you answer, feel free to copy, paste and edit the foillowing:

1. Yes No

2. Yes No

3. Yes No

And feel free to discuss. 

Tags: $5, PDGA, cheap, sanctioned, tournament

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES to all

I don't really care about payouts all the time as you simply don't always have a good outing and then you play and bail out when you are done.

Yes to all the above.

If I was a pdga member I would say yes to all. Well even not being a member I probably still would say yes to all.

X-Tier Ice Bowls !

I've been thinking about running a series of tournaments of this kind called Five Dollar Holler, mostly because I like to run the kinds of tournaments I like to play, and I no longer get excited about merchandise payouts.  I'd much rather keep the cash in my pocket, and play low entry fee low/no payout tournaments, but no one is running them around here. 

The questions go deeper, to HOW MANY would play in such events and what TDs would be willing to run them?  Around here, where the standard tournament schedule is pretty full, you'd be competing against payout events for players.

In example #2, it's hard to see how TD would pay sanctioning fees, insurance, PDGA fees, and other expenses, plus provide trophies, without losing money.  Not a lot of TDs want to do that.

Example #3 would be easier for TD to break even.  Doubtful TD (or club) would make any profit.

Personally, I'd pay up to $25 for a good, trophy-only, no-players pack event.  I think that's the value of participation in a good, organized event.

But as a TD, I'm cautious about putting in a lot of work for something that may cost me money and only attract a small number of players.  That's a gamble for someone else to take.

I've calculated the expenses.  Assuming no course use fee, C-tier sanctioning and insurance, 36 players is the break even number with one trophy, and then I can add two Supercolor trophy disc trophies per five additional players.  If the insurance is not required, 17 fewer players are needed. 

My goal would not be to make a profit, but to have cheap tournaments I could play on courses I want to play.  My worst case scenario would be paying the PDGA $108 for only my family members to play, and no one else showing up.  $27 each is cheap compared to what we might have played at a normally priced tournament. 

Competing against payout events would be inevitable around here.  Michigan has five or more tournaments every weekend, March through October.  But, my price competition would be fierce, and half of the players who pay for the prizes get nothing for that higher expense. 

This is, of course, more easily and often done in non-sanctioned events. 

So perhaps the question is, would the benefits of sanctioning (ratings, being on PDGA schedule, etc.) bring in enough extra players to cover the additional cost?

While it's true half the players get nothing (or perhaps a players pack), 75% think they'll win something when they register.  That's how bookies operate, right?

Interesting................................................

Personally, I'd pay up to $25 for a good, trophy-only, no-players pack event.  I think that's the value of participation in a good, organized event.

But as a TD, I'm cautious about putting in a lot of work for something that may cost me money and only attract a small number of players.  That's a gamble for someone else to take.

The conflict between my personal desires and the prevailing culture is not limited to disc golf.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968