www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I don't like dirt/natural tees. In your opinion, how much do concrete tees improve the overall quality of a course? Also, is concrete the best or is something else better?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen some guys tee .....................where you think they need a Aircraft carrier deck length to tee from !!!!!!

Just a good long rectangle pad where you don't fall off the side or front !!!!!
Our local course has concrete tee pads with astro-turf glued onto the surface. It works really well and looks very professional.
We have some glued mats on top of concrete pads !!!
i'm fascinated by the astro turf and mats glued to the concrete, are there any issues with that?

but has anyone thought of the environmental costs of concrete. it is one of the heaviest polluting industries and takes a lot of energy to produce. i would love to find a greener alternative. has anyone had experience on natural teepads that they liked?
Concrete tee pads make a course infinitely better.

A local course just installed the finest tee pads I've ever seen - pristine, high-grade, white concrete, six feet by twelve feet. Simply gorgeous. The course went from a six to a nine in the time it took for the concrete to dry.
If they're installed right, the fly 18's suit me better than concrete cause they're so much easier on old knees. Using crusher run and stone dust on top will give you good drainage. I've played on the rubber pads in the rain and had excellent grip but I've also played on ones without good drainage and they suck, very slippery. I feel that it's more important for the tees to be LEVEL. Concrete thats poured on an angle is just as bad as a natural tee. On a course with elevation, level off of the high point and bulkhead around it to give ample run up and run off.
Ben was right originally.........the concrete must be done properly.....too rough, not good.....too smooth, not good......but in this case I would go rougher than smoother because they will wear over time.........The ground rubber like an all weather track is not such a good idea due to the fact that those tracks are made for GRIP and the rotation of the plant foot in our sport would cause undue stress on the knee, ankle, and hip causing greater injuries in those areas...........This is why all the rotational throwing sports in the track and field sports are performed on concrete pads....i.e. shotput, discuss, hammer throw, ect.....the straight line throwing events are performed on the track surface...i.e. javline.......

Just my .02
Concrete is the standard.
But prefer crushed concrete, or limestone (packed).
I personaly don't have a problem with dirt tees. The course that I learned to play on is all dirt tees and I think that I'm able to play alot more courses, having fun, becuse I know how to play on dirt tees.
Don't get me wrong concrete is nice, but not required to be a good course in my opinion.
Keep Hucking
-Chris UDPGA# 0001
Has anyone played at Brent Baca in Albuquerque, NM? Circular, concrete tee pads at least 10 feet in diameter...maybe 12 feet...my only complaint was when the basket was out of sight, I did not know which way to throw (this only occurred the first time I played there...when I was oblivious to the arrows pointing you in the right direction). They have arrows pointing in the direction of the basket (and I know they have maps available)...
I like natural tees and concrete. I don't look at tees for the overall quality of a course, as tee pads only account for 18 shots out of a round. The fly 18 rubber mats are just too inconsistent, they are slippery in rain, snow, and when sand gets on them. They used the fly 18 rubber mats at Worlds, it's hard to concentrate on your throw when you are worried about slipping off the pad when you pivot. Here in Michigan concrete pads are nice because of the weather changes, good surface to throw on in rain, and also gives you the ability to shovel the snow off and have a grippy tee area.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968