www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi

When you're in the woods and needing to aim...

How do you aim?

Do you just look and throw?

Point certain body parts at certain things or the basket?

second part:

Can you throw a beeline for the basket on this hole with a forehand?

How do you take the right and left out of the disc and throw it on a rope up the middle?

Where's the stress point or main muscle that you concentrate on?

This hole is 270 ft. 

(Cottage Grove, OR)

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Until Alum Creek opened recently(players course,in am worlds coming up)most of my throwing experience was on wide open holes,and I learned quickly throwing tight wooded holes is a whole different animal.Mark Ellis hit the nail on the head,instead of practiceing on one hole,I just kept playing Alum Creek again and again.Now I use my minds eye and not worry about distance but only power up to what Im comfortable with,same goes for forhand also,for me at least.
Yup, that's the same thing I do. Then it just doesn't matter if you are throwing forehand or backhand. I've found that you can apply a few things from ball golf. That can help your disc golf game. When I've played up north (OR or WA) I find the majority of my throws are done with stable to understable discs. It's funny, I looked at that hole and the first thing I thought was...break out my Leopard or Vision!
God, you guys have some awesome courses up there!
Id throw and Orc or a flash.... Pretty hard and it will go straight and hyzer out a little.
I'd probably throw a heavy star roadrunner forehand with a bit of hyzer, let it flip left right about where that tree is in the red circle and then fade back to the right just a bit.
Reality: disc flips left slams said tree.
Too much disc for that hole I think. You'd have to throw that disc harder than necessary to get those discs to fly that way unless really beat. Otherwise, I think you'd lose accuracy to gain power. I wouldn't see an issue with throwing your favorite stable/understable mid on that hole, it is only 270.
1 - Keep your eyes on the line you want the disc to go.
2 - Pull along the line you want your disc to travel
3 - Always plan for that disc's propensity to fade/flip (duh)
4 - NEVER throw full power on control shots. Disc up and throw lighter to retain control.
From a back handers point of view. 1: As I stated earlier. I pick a closer "target" to line up on. Be it a leaf twing etc... This "target is approx 5 to 20 feet away, but still on the line I'm hopeing to hit. 2: I face the target and set the disc in my hand, orienting it to my desired angle (flat, hyzer or anhyzer). 3: Start my x-step and the pull through. At this point I use my shoulder as an aiming point (I want my shoulder to be lined up with my intended line). Not that I have much hip rotation, but I do try to limit it when I'm throwing for accuracy. So much so, It seems like my arm is fully extended along my intended target line (to the point of the snap), before I finsh my hip rotation/follow through. Now I just wait for the sound of my disc smacking off of a few trees. Ahhhh..priceless ;) As far as my focus or "concentration" I really try to stay smooth and make sure my pull through is nice and straight across my chest and past.
Also stated earlier in the post. The discs I use when I play those awesome course up your way. Tend to run on the stable to understable side. Driver's: Valkyrie, Sidewinder, and Vision. Fairway: Teebird, TL, and a Leopard, but the Vision and Leopard get the majority of the work.
Having said all that. This is what works for me. Every body is built differnt and everyone has there own internal metronome. Finding the right combo for you is what will make your game improve.
Good luck!
The choice forehand (right handed) seems obvious to me here - flex shot. Throw an anhyzer that bends to the left around the tree that's in the red circle and let it flex out back to the right to the pin. Throwing a beeline at this one seems to be a line that doesn't allow for much error.

This actually looks like a hole that would be easier for a proficient forehander than a proficient backhander (both righty throws).

Since I can't resist, I'd throw backhand with my stratus to the right of the tree in the red circle on a 15% hyzer angle and let it wend around that tree and flip to flat or finish slightly right. Just a softer version of the throw I recommended forehand. I too now have a strong desire to play this hole. I think we should all meet on a certain date and throw the lines we recommended.
Ya, but my line involved hitting a few trees! So I'll have to work on it. I'll be up there in Sept. So I'll write down all the lines that people have suggested and post the results in Oct. Problem is, I don't have a forehand. :)

P.S. I bet there is a forehand hyzer route around the tree dead straight in front of the teepad (closest in the pic). Perhaps a "local route?" Hard to tell in a pic.
I would flick something a little less stable to help it keep a line or backhand a mid like my spider and work my way up to the basket.
After reading your P.S here I took another look at the photo. Check out the teepad, there must be another route to the left of that tree judging by the way the teepad is facing. Maybe the pad was laid in an akward spot, I dont know.
there not awesome. We just find a way to put 18 holes in 5 acres and its very technical. We manage to find a way to go around the trees and not have to have a huge hole where you bomb it 450 and have a 150 foot up shot. We can play the tight technical courses no problem. But put us out with the bombers in an open course and we tend to look crazy and to overly happy. Where did you play when you where up here?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968