www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I want to hear some good stories about encounters with animals out on the disc golf course. What are some crazy things that have happened to you? What kind of animals have you seen out on the course and what were they doing? Once, me and a buddy saw a dog chasing a red-tailed hawk for about 300 feet. The hawk was flying 5 feet off of the ground and we thought the dog was going to get it but it eventually just flew up. It was pretty sweet. Let's hear some more!?!?

Tags: animal, bears, disc, fish, golf, hedgehog, snapple

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/1809917:Photo:248226?context=user

Saw this at Willow Run while playing a round with the 24 chains gang. He would have made a great dinner.
We have tons of deer out on our course in the evening hours they love to come out and graze on the fairways in the woods. One night when we were finishing a round my friend launched a nice low line drive and a deer came sprinting across the fairway, the disc hit it square in the side. The deer wasn't even phazed and kept on going we just laughed our asses off, my friend was so pissed because it was a beautiful drive that may have parked the basket but it ended up about 200' short.

Another time at our course, I was looking for an errant drive I threw into the woods. There is some thick underbrush and ferns that pop up in mid summer obstructing your view of the ground. As I was moving the ferns around to find my disc I saw somthing small run past my feet, then about 20sec. later I hear somthing hissing. As I move some ferns out of the way all I saw was a furry face and some teethy fangs hissing at me. Of course I turn and start running out of the woods with this thing chasing me, as I break thru the wood line back into the fairway my buddies are laughing and ask "What the hell are you doing?" So I told them and they asked what kind of animal it was, I said "It was big furry, had fangs, and a baby" They just laughed and asked if it was a rabbid squirrel or chipmunk. To this day we warn people that are in that area of the rabbid squirrel that defends it. And yes, I did go back in and got my disc back, but my friends wouldn't go help me find it.

Last story. We were playing at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids, lots of Canadian Geese there. On hole 17 I throw a roller and it went a little wide to the left, jumped a goose that was sleeping, basically looked like a sky roller and anhyzered more to the right landed and then circled the basket for a duce. It was sweet, although the goose was rudely awakened and was looking around as it had no idea what just happened.
There is a bird that swoops down and pops you on the head sometimes at Dolese Park in Oklahoma City. One guy got his hat taken to the top of a tree. He kept trying to knock it out and the bird kept swooping on him.

I think the coolest animal story is when people don't bring dumbass dogs to the course. Nothing worse than a dog that gets in your way while shooting, chases discs, or leaves a big crap on the course. If your dog isn't trained, leave it at home.
My first Advanced tourney,first hole,first throw on Key West navel base(was temp. course) I threw a 2 finger roller,the throw flew and landed fine, about 250 ft. down the fairway a dog busted out from the crowd allong the street. it chased down my roller grabbed it and ran off never to be seen again.Circle four! Welcome to tournament play!
Love this topic!!! I have seen deer, snakes, foxes, bees(@!*#!%&!), red-tailed hawks, trout and others. Was hoping to see an alligator at Cliff Stephens the two times I've played there, but it wasn't meant to be.

But the best DG animal story so far has to be about the time my friend and I were putting at our local course around dark. We were practicing on two baskets that were 100 or so feet apart. After picking up my putter near one basket, I walked towards the middle of the two and heard a squishing sound under my foot. I didn't think much of it. A minute or two later, same squishing sound. This time I definitely noticed and said to my buddy "I have to see what that is". Grabbed a flashlight and shined it on the ground. There, flat on its back, was a bat. Eyes wide open, mouth revealing its fangs. One of us must have knocked it out of the air with a putt. I had stepped on it twice!!! The noise I heard was it hissing at me~! Even better, as I went back to look at it again 30 seconds later, it was gone!!!
great stuff everyone!
Last summer we were playing Fort Custer and there was a hawk perched on the 3rd basket. I tried to get a pic but by the time I got my camera out of my bag he'd taken off. Would have been a really cool pic. Same day we were on the back 9 just finishing up and there were five or six deer grazing on the fairway. The best story was at Begg Park. For those of you unfamiliar with Begg, it sits right next to an apartment complex. There is a children's playground near the first tee and a ped. walkway around part of the park. My girlfriend was on her second shot on 17, you have to shoot over the ped. walkway, when someone's black lab came out of no where and snatched her disc midair. It was hilarious and the lab just mangled her disc before the owner could get the dog to drop it.
I was out golfing on Central Michigan University's Course when a blue heron landed about 3 feet from the pin. Since they are protected in my area, we had to wait about 10 minutes for it to fly away.
hi
im phil from seattle wa
one time we had a coyote follow us up close and personal about 20 feet for about 30 minutes
one time we had an owl that would swoop down after your shot multiple occasions
one time a baby squirrel fell out of a tree and was dissoriented and followed us for three holes real close 2 feet
mike lowell dan we all seen theese
while playing crystal mountain i was shooed away from my shot by a hoarry marmut
karl laughed his butt off
a few cool things have happened to me...I've hit a few squirells at Warriors Path SP in Kingsport, TN...I hit at deer as it was running out of the woods at Charley Vettiner in Louisville and Knocked a bunch of baby birds out of their nest at Borden Park in Kingsport, TN....we also had a group of baby skunks that we took care of off of hole 24 at Warriors Path SP....it was wild and the mamma was no where to be found...to this day I think Jason J-Bird Light is still taking care of them haha
I have seen some strange stuff on the course. I have hit a squirrel or two in my day. One of the funniest things would have to be when the squirrels get there revenge. I have seen squirrels take a whiz on my buddies disc. This has happened on two different occasions. Sorry but i cant resist....... Better to be pissed off than pissed on.....
My usual weekly round is early Sunday morning. We often see and or hear herons around Hudson Mills. On two or three occasions in the past few years, we've witnessed their most excellent mating rituals. Big wings spread out, jumping up and down, totally national geographic stuff. We should start hearing them any week now. Then again, they might be slow this spring, like everything else. I know in past year's I've often heard the earliest frog calls by the end of February. No chance for that this year, should be a more typical frog year.

Watching the seasons come and go, along with all the changing flora and fauna, is one of the best reasons to be out there golfing, IMHO. Glad to see winter finally GOING!

Time to put my rollers back in the bag for tomorrow's round (as long as some freak snow storm doesn't come through today...)

Joe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968