www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I want to hear some good stories about encounters with animals out on the disc golf course. What are some crazy things that have happened to you? What kind of animals have you seen out on the course and what were they doing? Once, me and a buddy saw a dog chasing a red-tailed hawk for about 300 feet. The hawk was flying 5 feet off of the ground and we thought the dog was going to get it but it eventually just flew up. It was pretty sweet. Let's hear some more!?!?

Tags: animal, bears, disc, fish, golf, hedgehog, snapple

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hahaha. Some of my friends have seen this guy(and his monkey) at the course in Mount Pleasant. Unfortunately, I never have. I have, however, seen deer a few times while playing different courses. Also, after my friend and I drove, a duck wandered in between us and nibbled on my friends putter and towel and then walked off.

RAY said:
I've told this before, but one time at Chippewa Banks in Midland, Michigan I was playing a game with some friends. At this course hole 6 is parallel to hole 15. So we were on hole 6 we all saw this guy holding a leash and on the other end was a little monkey in a diaper holding and walking with a mini disc. I am not sure if he trained it to throw it or not, but it was pretty damn funny!
A couple of years ago, my friends disc landed 5 feet from an adult michigan rattler curled up and basking in the sun. he did get his disc, but didn't throw from the spot. we warned the next group on the tee to be careful of that spot. the rattler never even moved.

at hawk hollow i have seen all sorts of things, tons of deer, all sorts of reptiles, a hen turkey with young, hawks (of course), bald eagle, etc, etc.- but the cattle are there all the time.

weirdest animal incident i've seen on a course was years ago when my roomie in richmond caught a pigeon in flight with a viper about 20 feet off the tee. it basically exploded in a shower of feathers.
Last year, a friend and I were playing Willow Run in Wisconsin Rapids. Anyone who's ever played this course knows about the walking trail that traverses the course. Anyway, we get to hole 9, and my friend drives to within 10 feet of the basket. He's stoked about the whole thing. That is, until this lady walking her dog without a leash happens by. The next thing I know, this lady and my friend are chasing this dog through the park trying to get his disc back. It may possibly be the funniest thing I ever saw out on the course. Now, whenever we play, I always remind him to watch out for dogs.

Also, a funny side note. The squirrels at Willow Run are outright ballsy. I've had them scurry right up to me. Literally within inches. I hope they don't chew a hole in my bag.... HA!

Yeah, lame joke...

I like this thread. It's one of the better one's I've seen.
haha, the squirrels at Cliff Stevens, Clearwater FL have come up to me and grabbed food out of my hands w/ there own little hands and ate it right there in front of us'

Chainz-4-Brainz said:
Last year, a friend and I were playing Willow Run in Wisconsin Rapids. Anyone who's ever played this course knows about the walking trail that traverses the course. Anyway, we get to hole 9, and my friend drives to within 10 feet of the basket. He's stoked about the whole thing. That is, until this lady walking her dog without a leash happens by. The next thing I know, this lady and my friend are chasing this dog through the park trying to get his disc back. It may possibly be the funniest thing I ever saw out on the course. Now, whenever we play, I always remind him to watch out for dogs.

Also, a funny side note. The squirrels at Willow Run are outright ballsy. I've had them scurry right up to me. Literally within inches. I hope they don't chew a hole in my bag.... HA!

Yeah, lame joke...

I like this thread. It's one of the better one's I've seen.
Last summer before Dabney Doubles in Troutdale, OR... There was a guy playing a round with his dog (no dogs allowed in park!). We told him dogs are not allowed...he gave us his $.02. Well about 20 minutes later (while warming up) we could hear what sounded like a stampede coming toward us. It was an adult male deer running, at top speed, down a hillside about 20 feet from me AND he was being chased by the dog (that shouldn't have been in the park). The deer jumped into bunch of ferns and trees that run between a couple of holes with the dog about 10-15 feet behind and haulin'. A few second later the dog's owner comes running up and asking if we saw his dog. We just laughed at him and pointed in the direction they went...he found his dog about half hour later. I never would have guessed a lab could almost keep up with a deer. Crazy

Kevin
in wisconsin there are so many white tail deer they are almost a menace. some are rather tame. i was playin a solo round at at yulga park. it was on my lunch hour and kind of overcast so the course which is normally heavlly used was pretty empty. i got to hole 18 and there was two does standing about 80 feet off the tee pad munchin on some vegies, i didnt even see them as i had my head down wipin off my dics from the previous hole. got to the tee pad and looked up and they kind of startled me. so i wanted to drive and they were in the fairway, i started yelling at them and jumping around flailling my arms about. they could of cared less, so i said f-it i'll just throw, i tried to ignore them but just as i was about to release the one in the back (center of fairway) pulled his head up and looked to see what i was doin, i caught him out of the corner of my eye and my arm went right to where i was looking. it sailed about 6 feet over his head hit a tree directlly behind him bounced right hit another pine tree and came back towards me hitting the other deer directlly in the side of the head. he looked dazed for a second then he shook it off and they both ran away. i laughed my a$$ off for about 2 minutes, wish someone else was there to see it. needless to say i couldnt focus after that and ended up bogeying the hole to screw up my bogey free round.
hey now,I've encountered Florida wild life of blacksnake and rattler catching the warm rays on the fairways,gopher tortoise digging it's burrow-very loud grunting noise along with the digging process.Hawks swooping down to catch squirrels and also to hit your disc while in air route,getting caught up in some horrendous spider webs in the palmetto bushes,bitten by those damn red ants we have in Florida-those are painfull,armadillos rooting for food and wondering what the hell is coming at you through the woods/brush-very noisey.
Squirrel story; launching the disc off tee pad towards the basket to have it skip and startle a squirrel looking for buried nuts.As you walk towards your disc you encounter this pissed off squirrel charging you,chattering away while still charging.Defend youself with throwing another disc at the squirrel while looking for stage left/right exit.
Welcome to Sunny Florida..."I hate spiders and snakes,and if that's what it takes to..." Peace.Port Charlotte's North Charlotte Regional Park,SW FL, "The Preserve" dg course
Depending on which member of the Red Line Crew you talk to will depend on weather it was funny or not but here goes. Last year Jason, Andrew and I were playing at a heavily wooded course in northern Michigan when Andrew was faced with a long putt for par from behind a very large oak tree. The oak tree had apparently been struck by lightning and split down the middle making it even harder for Andrew to putt, long story short he steps up to the tree and ends up spread all out for a straddle putt, and while he was lining up his shot a badger came shooting out of the crack in the tree chasing him half way back to the previous hole. Needless to say after we all regained our composer (Jason and I picked our selves up off the ground from laughing) Andrew missed his putt, and every since that day every time were in the woods and Andrew is getting ready to throw my brother Jason yells watch out badger! Its been a year and it still never looses its effect, try to imagine a 6' 2" 250lbs man screaming like a school girl running through the woods being chased by a 20lbs badger, I don't think I'll ever get tired of retelling this story every time some one ask me why we call him badger!
Two years ago I was playing the Full Throttle Tournament at Solitude Mountain Resort and just as I was getting ready to tee off on the last hole, a Moose made his way across the fairway behind us (man those things look like walking houses when there is no fence between them and you!). Definitely one of the coolest animal sightings for me.
I walked through a trail from hole 3 to hole 4 at Chippewa Banks in Midland. I looked left directly into the eyes of a baby crow sitting on a branch at my eye level, 2 " from my face. He was obviously fresh out of the nest, all fluffed up and wobbly, waiting for his wings to be strong enough to fly away.
about three years ago a group of about 10 of us were playing at highland springs disc golf course in northern cali. when my german shorthair saw a deer run into the woods so he chased it, about fifteen seconds later the deer was chasing him back out onto the golf course, they stopped and then he chased her back into the woods, then again she chased him out again. This happened about four or five times, we figured the deer had a fawn nearby and was not about to let my dog near it. The funniest thing you ever saw. We still talk about today.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968