www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

As I was leaving Coldbrook after a miserable, cold round, an animal jumped out from the schule on the side of the road and in front my car.  My life flashed before my eyes, and I though "Not again!", then as everything went into slow motion, I thought I was about to hit Bambi.   But then I realized this was definitely not a deer- it was way to fast to be a small fawn (not to mention it did not look like a deer), way to big to be a cat, and way to scary looking to be a dog.  I then looked up pictures of cougars (No, not of Courtney Cox) and realized there is no way I could have been mistaken.  There have been numerous cougar sightings in SW MI, but the DNR continues to assure people that there are no cougars here.  So, golfers beware- this was less then a mile from the park gates! 

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the world is flat too.
That's awesome that you saw a cougar Jenny. Seriously. That must have been pretty trippy.

My question is - how do cougars being around affect us discers? Do they attack people? Should we bring machetes and shotguns out to Coldbrook now?

Pictures of Cougars !!!!

Erwin,
I hate to tell you but YOU ARE WRONG!!!

When I was living in Kalamazoo and driving for Servicemaster around SE MI back in 2006 and 07 I seen 2 cougars while driving one at night and one during the day. Just because the DNR says they are not there doesn't mean that they know for sure.

You must understand population dynamics before you can even begin to think about commenting on a subject like this. Anyone who just blindly takes the word of the government on these matters is a fool.

A fox is far too small to be mistaken as a cougar, a coyote could be about the right size but have a bushy tail and a lot of fur on the face that makes them stand apart from cougars. Not to mention they move differently. Furthermore, when comparing tracks a coyote will leave nail prints in it's tracks whereas a cougar will not as their nails retract when walking or running.

If you have small dogs or children that you bring to courses where cougars have been sighted it would be wise to keep them close and a can of bear mace isn't a bad idea. Otherwise cougars are not known for randomly attacking adult humans or large groups of people. Like most predators they will prey on what they think will be the easiest prey, the small and the wounded so discs golfers shouldn't need to be too concerned.
Yeah sorry, there are definately cougars in Michigan. This is from the DNR website and it says that cougars were intially native to Michigan. My parents live ten minutes from Flip City, my mom spotted one in our woods.This is the DNR site
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_43573-153232--...
If you want to see a cougar go to Bells on friday night!
If the field biologist is a good scientist, they would also point out that absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence...
I have been fox and coyote hunting several times.... it definitely was not either. However, I am not going to argue about what anyone else thinks I may have or may not have seen!
Honestly, I doubt it will affect anyone, but if you or anyone brings a dog out there and your dog turns up missing....

Just thought I would share this. There are plenty of things on the disc board that don't affect most discers, yet many people find them interesting.
Your positive it wasn't a tan dog named daisy?
lol... no it wasn't daisy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968