www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Howdy y'all. Please help me settle a friendly dispute.

What is the par of your local courses? Are they all par 54? Do you make a 700 foot hole a par 3 because the score are "relative" to the others? I support the argument that creating par 4s and 5s on a course make it more interesting, but my fellow Santa Feans don't agree. 

Thank you in Advance.

Views: 663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may be surprised that even if a course wasn't designed by a DGCD member, they and the PDGA guidelines have influenced the setting of par on many, many courses. All of those courses have been played in sanctioned events where par on each hole had to be set. For example, I've helped Dodge set some of the pars on Maple Hill after evaluating stats he's sent over the years. Hos and long ago Monroe has helped advise or set the pars for tournament courses in Florida. If they weren't right, I'm sure Climo would have voiced disapproval.

Chuck,

I have met you and both know Gregg and Tom.

Tom was instrumental in helping us in Daytona years back.

But actually did not design anything.

I of course don't mind helping Hos and have actually asked for his eye, and am sure that most likely will do so in the future.

To me it is not an 'ego' thing to put a course in. 

Usually, it helps to have beneficial help.

Unfortunately, most in this sport let their egos get in the way to make a 'good' course. Seen and continue to see situations where there can be improvement, but you basically have to bite your lip most of the time.

There are really some baaaaaad holes and some wonderful.

This sport is still so young that it would be nice is everyone had the non ego approach.

Most experienced designers I've worked with never feel a course is "done" and have plans for improvement that have been delayed, not budgeted or not approved and they're open for suggestions some which may already be on their punch list for the future. I see more ego issues in course design with new and one timers who are threatened by any criticisms or suggestions for improvement. Having published guidelines at least provides objective docs for critics to point towards to back their comments or criticisms.

Good Luck with your group out there.

Hope the outcome is beneficial to everyone.

Just remember, despite the determined par, it's the lowest score that wins.

That's not always true but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

(Laughter in background).
It seems that a tangent has been applied in this discussion.
This guy who posted this seems to be fighting an uphill battle.
So if a golfer shoots a 47? That doesn't beat a 49?
Start this discussion on a new thread.
I know about ties... playoffs,

No chance. Maybe in the future.

Have a good labor day.

Par for me , is different on a Long Ball Golf course.

Some are set at 72 for par.

Kinda depends on Course Design , Length of Holes , etc.

Years ago (way back before 1992) we at Daytona were ahead of the curve with a course traversing over 7-8000 foot course, with a par 72.

In time the club changed to a shorter par 54 course. The city ate up part of the course....

Imagine if it were left as it was? 

Just a thought....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968