www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Howdy!

So, I recently moved from Greenville, NC to Frostburg, MD due to an employment change.

I had three free, really good courses to play on in Greenville...now, my closest courses are a private course 9 miles away and a pay to play for 15.00 course 30 minutes away.

I have a travel basket...and know I can use it to "create" courses...but, it is really not the same.

So, I am reaching out to my DG friends who live in tough areas for our sport and asking how do you still keep playing, etc. within the circumstances of where you live?

Thanks~

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aside from the obvious idea of finding  a park  or any area that you can just pick a tree or something to aim for, have you thought about talking to the owners of one of those courses and explaining your dilemma?  Maybe coming at them with something like " look, I love your course but want to play more often and $ is a little steep. How about I bring a trash bag each time or come help with course maintenance sometimes for a discounted fee?"

IDK. Seems like this is exactly how public courses get formed. find some buddy's, get some people to start playing and then start a club, raise $ , etc.

this post made me realize how lucky some of us have it. <-15-20 courses within an hour drive.

Good luck and keep tossing!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, 7 of the 10 closest courses are pay to play...and because I live in the mountains now...a 30 mile trip now takes an hour...zip code 21532.

The closest course at Wisp is 15.00 per round...and the natural tees on the side of the mountain are asking for torn ACL's. 

I started a group on facebook to try to unite fellow disc golfers and have been emailing the local park and rec director...but, after initially appearing interested, he has stopped writing back.

Would I be out of line to buy some permanent baskets and install them myself at night via flashlight in one of their parks?

I'd say you need to find and angel. Look around at marginal lands ie deserted real estate tracts, logged off parcels, pitch n' putt courses folded up or old gravel pits. Find out who owns them and approach them letting them know you'd like to use their land for a community project. Often they like to have somebody using the property rather than having dumping or atv's scrunging up their property. Don't use baskets make tonals out of whatever you got  stove pipes on sticks or hung from trees .... u can put in a course with new pipes for under $100 bucks.  Find ur angel and build it out and enjoy. Good Luck.

Most parks have laws against leaving anything in the park without written permission.

We have a park that we taped off a section on light poles as our holes. I love playing there and since they are light Poles we are throwing at we are able to play at night. Just hit between the tape and four good.

... you bet ..... sane same game

Hey guy, take a look at Discgolf Course Review. It list a lot of courses and reviews. I use it whenever I travel. Stopping at a small town off the main road for an hour or maybe two. A great way to see the States.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968