www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I know almost everyone has some sort of makeup game they play to practice throwing or putting. I'd like to get some creative ideas from anyone and everyone on how to get more use out of my discs when I maybe can't play a round or want to get more use out of my practice basket. What games involving driving, approach shots and putts do you play? (Or want to or already have...)

Tags: approach, challenge, creative, drives, friends, fun, games, makeup, practice, putts, More…shots

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's always the classic game of horse or just putter catch, which is great, but you have to have a friend for that. So when i'm playing on my own what I like to do is set up 6 or so marks at varying ranges within 35 feet. Then I have to make 5 in a row from each spot. I'll start at the closest and go till i make 5 in a row, then i move out one increment. The tricky part is that you have to make at least 3 out of 5 at the second spot, or else you have to go back to spot one. So it goes like this, spot one is 10 ft, i go 5/5. I then move to spot 2 at 14 ft, maybe with a different angle, i go 4/5. I go again from spot 2 since i didn't make 5 in a row, this time i make 5/5. move to spot 3, at maybe 19 feet, i go 2/5.... well i didn't make at least 3 so i move back to spot 2, i go 2/5... epic fail, i'm back at spot one. I do the same thing in darts when practicing to play cricket.
If you have room in the yard, I like to practice approach shots from 100-200' going around stuff,(the big tree there,the kids swingset, that huge bush over there.) give myself points for ctp 1 point for 20' 2 for 15' 3 for 10' 5 for 5' 50 for ace...when I get to 100 points, reward myself with nice cold adult beverage.
Disc Bocci .
Usually 3 or more players . Each player uses 1 disc ( usually a putter or short approach ). Place a mini for a spot and throw a target disc , usually an 80 mold lid .I use a forehand roller because it gets into unusual spots. Each player in turn throw a shot as close as they can to the target disc.You aren't allowed to run out and see exactly where the target ended up. Many times you have to guess where it is. The closest disc gets 1 point the fartherest away loses 1 point. If a players disc is touching the target they get 2 points. If it is completely surrounded ( under or inside) by the target it's an automatic win. It's a race to 21 or whatever you decide. If you get to a negative 7 (example) you are booted out of that game and have buy your way in ( if there is a wager)or wait for the next game. The winner of each throw gets to place the mini and throw the target disc.
We usually play for $5 a player . With 7 or 8 players and it gets wild. Lot's of fun and your approach game will get better fast.
We play a putting game with 2 or more people, around the world and back again, where 9 spots are marked around the basket, from 15 ft. to 50 ft. out. Each person has 2 putts on each spot. 1 point for 1 made putt, and 3 points for 2 made putts. Play spots 1 thru 9, then 9 thru 1. Whoever has the most points wins. Definitely helps your putting game.
Horseshoes, er horsedisc. I have two baskets and we have played just like horseshoes the last 2 nights. One point for hitting any part and 2 for in the basket. Goes fast and changes quick. Have a friend bring another basket.
Games? Where do I start?

Depending on who shows up today and the flexibility of the group (not everyone is open to playing anything other than traditional disc golf), the odds are that I will play some made-up game today. I have designed lots of games (hundreds, if not thousands, if you count all the variations). Some games are practice games, designed to develop or improve a particular skill. Some games are designed to be played during competitive rounds with particular goals: to increase pressure, to make fair teams amongst a group of variable skill levels, to learn a new course, to develop a new shot, to have fun, etc.

An important principal of games is that it really doesn't matter if you win or lose. I know this sounds odd, so bear with me. Obviously we all want to win and try our best to do so. But the purpose of a game is develop your skill for when it counts (tournaments). So games are about long term development more than short term reward. I often create games which place me at a huge disadvantage. I will give a spot or an advantage so large that I need to play really well just to have a chance to win. I, of course, lose many of these games. That is ok. You cannot be successful if you are afraid of losing. So don't judge the game by whether you win or lose. Judge it for what it teaches you.

One of the biggest challenges of life is to deal with pressure. If you have never had to make a big putt to win a major tournament against top notch competition then it is difficult to be prepared to excel when you do get there. If you have never played in a final 9 in front of a crowd you cannot appreciate precisely what it feels like. You cannot exactly create a tournament situation in any practice game but you can regularly place yourself under pressure, so you are training yourself to perform under pressure.

The best players do not deal with pressure, they use it, they thrive on it, they excel under it.
I love this thread. :)
If you've not already written a book, I think you should. You have a way of expressing yourself that is very easy to follow and understand. Maybe you're already published. If not, I'd sure buy your book.
Oh yeah, I forgot about our other version of 21. Rotate who picks the spot, 3 points for each made shot, 2 points for hitting chains, and 1 point for hitting metal. First to 21 wins, its fun.
One thing I like to do is kind of like around-the-world, a basketball side game. I make six or nine or however many spots available for the space given in a circle around a basket at a distance of over 30'. I will take all my putters and start shooting. As soon as I make a shot from a specific spot I move on to the next spot and shoot until I make one and move on to the next spot and so on and so forth. It gets to be pretty fast paced (if I want it to) and I am working for a goal and putting comes more natural. I am putting over and over so when I hit putts repeatedly, I can really feel where everything is supposed to be, pertaining to lining up my putt with my feet, my hands etc. I always figure if at the very least I am putting straight, the only thing I have to adjust is elevation for longer/shorter putts. This game really helps me know when I'm lined up and I'm going to make a putt.
That's a really awesome solo practice game. Thanks for sharing. I like all of the ideas in this thread.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968