www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Does anyone have any documents or research that discusses the reduced level of crime in parks once disc golf courses have been installed? Any literature, white papers or internet links would be helpful as it will help in discussions with parks managers.
Mark Janssen
Orlando Disc Golf Club
mjanssen@hntb.com

Tags: crime, disc, golf, testimonials

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI MY NAME IS PHIL
MY FRIEND LOWELL WITH FANTASY FLIGHTS HERE IN SEATTLE MAY
HAVE INFO ON THIS WE PLANTED NORTHPARK MORE THAN 20 YEARS
AGO AND ITS BEEN A WONERFUL ADDITION TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD
THERES ALOT LESS FREAKSHOW BUT ALOT MORE BEER DRINKERS
BUT THE PARK IS KEPT CLEAN AND IS USED ALOT
WHEN WE TALKED TO THE PARKS DEPT IT WAS IMPORTANT TOO SHOW THEM THE PARK WAS USED
BY ALOT OF PEOPLE .EVENTS WERE INSURED AND ITS MULTIUSE PARK
Dude, we can hear you stop YELLING! Hit the caps lock key and it will fix that problem.
PHIL LOYD said:
HI MY NAME IS PHIL
MY FRIEND LOWELL WITH FANTASY FLIGHTS HERE IN SEATTLE MAY
HAVE INFO ON THIS WE PLANTED NORTHPARK MORE THAN 20 YEARS
AGO AND ITS BEEN A WONERFUL ADDITION TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD
THERES ALOT LESS FREAKSHOW BUT ALOT MORE BEER DRINKERS
BUT THE PARK IS KEPT CLEAN AND IS USED ALOT
WHEN WE TALKED TO THE PARKS DEPT IT WAS IMPORTANT TOO SHOW THEM THE PARK WAS USED
BY ALOT OF PEOPLE .EVENTS WERE INSURED AND ITS MULTIUSE PARK
In Regards to the Timmons Park Entry Above - I contacted the department and received this response:
Timmons is a 35+/- acre park near the center of the city and has a one-way in and out road way. It is in the middle of a neighborhood but isolated due to terrain. (stream valley) It was not heavily used and in the late 1980’s the city had a problem at another park with gay men congregating. That park (Reedy River Pk) was closed to vehicle traffic and the gay crowd moved to another park (McPherson Pk) until neighbors started to complain. It was closed to vehicle traffic and the gay crowd moved to Timmons. It was not unusual for 50-60 cars to cruise the park at lunch time but since it was isolated no one complained for 4-5 years. It became a regional gay spot and the police began to make Vice raids arresting 60+ men for solicitation of undercover police officers. It was only when a neighborhood boy was solicited that the conservative neighborhood residents (associated with Bob Jones Univ.) showed up in mass at a city council meeting complaining that major action was taken.

First the department began to lock up the park at night. Then we added a Mt. Bike trail, then we made it the home field for Greenville Little League and finally added the disc golf course. All of these new activities added park users. A heavy police presents sent the gay crowd to a park outside the city until complaints start there and it too was locked down.

Timmons Park did not have any other “crime” other than being a gay meeting spot.

Paul Ellis – Director of Planning.
www.gcrd.org

great information, but it does support the fact that typical bad behavior is only moved not eliminated.
mark
In the interest of peace, let me share with some who might not know: It is an Internet tradition that posting with "ALL CAPS" is considered to be the equivalent of shouting into an otherwise, normal-toned conversation. Not everyone knows that, and it can cause angst in places like this where those who do know get a bit peeved at those who don't!

If anyone feels the need to highlight or emphasize certain words or phrases in a post, I recommend using an occasionally "bolded" word or term, instead of all caps!
I'm curious...did you bother to check in your own backyard.....i.e. Bob or Gregg? I would say Gregg should have access to or know someone else who might have access to some testimonials.
I dont have any documentation, but i have spoken to local LEO's who have stated that when we, as a group ,are present the youth who vandelize and litter the course is at a minimum, we also scare away transients who tend to make the wooded areas home in the winter. I also have spoken to women who walk their dogs daily who say they wait to see a discers car or truck in the lot before they come out. They feel safer knowing we are there...!!!!!!
There has been an issue with crime on the Barnett Park course in Orlando due to the proximity of the course to the lower rent part of town. At Turkey Lake Park, I have heard of nothing. Probably due to the park charging a nominal entry fee and it being located, conversely, in a good part of town.
Chuck Kennedy said:
I heard that the Kilborne course in Charlotte was installed because the neighbors bordering the park either asked the Park Depratment and/or the Charlotte Disc Golf Club to install a course to eliminate the unsavory activities going on in the woods there.
I'm sure that is true and the fact that the certain acts are almost non existant. Also there is a course in Charlotte at Sugaw Creek where another certain act was done along a street on the side of the park (where there is almost no traffic) has just about ended. I have worked on the expansion project of that disc golf course (from 9 to 18 holes) and have had people that live on that street thanking us for being there and doing the work.
Thanks Zubie, hope all is going well in prep for the Carolina Clash.
Anyone have any other examples? Need more information please. Anything that relates to disc golf activities improving the park.
I wish that were the case here in AK, as we have had tons of vadalism on our signs, tee pads, benches, etc. Even people littering their beer cans, bottles, and what ever else. I wish we could just catch these people and spray mace in their face every time they do something like that.

I know that is harsh, but some sort of punishment should be served.
Those clever bears...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968