www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was watching ESPN tonight and was talking to my buddy who isn't really into disc golf. And i told him that i think DG is going to really grow in the next five years and come mainstream. He denied it saying there are other growing sports that would come first but couldn't really name any specific ones.

Any thoughts on the growth of the sport?

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My god I hate Pearl Jam and U2!

My opinion is that the PDGA should team with the PGA on a few of these national televised tournaments. By using portable baskets a regular 18 hole ball golf course could be turned into a 36 hole disc golf course. The cameras and staging would already be set-up. Of course the main event would be the ball golf, but I equate it to having "warm-up" bands at a rock concert. This would be the most efficient and economical way to televise the sport. If it does not become popular, then they can go to plan B.

That's what I thought when I read that statement. It's been 5 years away for 20 years.

Those snobby fucks at the PGA would never let us discers near them. You have to learn how to hold a teacup correct. But the idea of doing that is fantastic. The sports on a good pace of growth. We need to stay passionate and keep promoting in new ways.

Since building new DG courses on private land in Southern California would cost millions of dollars, piggy backing onto existing ball golf courses has been the new fad out here. Verdugo Hills is the latest course to be a dual use course. Ball golfers and discers playing at the same time. So far it has worked out really well.

We also have the Van Buren dual use course in Riverside county and the Goat Hill course in San Diego County. Goat Hill has a tourney coming up bill as the longest (Length) disc golf tourney in the world. The course is so long you have to se a golf cart.

I'd rather we had seperate use courses, but the dual use courses are not bad. Verdugo Hills in particular makes really good use of the tree'd area along side the ball golf fairways. There is some very interesting Mando's as well to keep everyone safe.

that sounds rad, are some fairways shared? and some running along side? who yields to who? pay how much to play? tee-times? i haven't heard of this before

Wow that sounds very cool. Didnt know this concept of sharing courses was out there. I would like to see how this idea spreads

Verdugo Hills is a pitch n putt par 3 with the longest hole being 140 yards.  Fairways and tees are completely shared.  Ball golfers are usually pretty good about letting us play through.  It's kinda the ideal length for a DG course, IMO. 

I thought they only did that in Florida!!! :0

I cannot WAIT to win the lottery and build a 27 hole DG Course on an existing ball golf course. My day will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a surprising number of shared courses around the country---4 that I can think of in South Carolina alone.

However, there are drawbacks to the concept.  I can't imagine it ever being more than an exotic alternative.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968