www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I tried my friends pro katana recently and really liked it.  I like to keep it as cheap as possible and obviously champion and star plastic is much more durable.  My thought was I'd wait til they started producing the katana in star plastic before purchasing one so it will last longer assuming I don't lose it. 

Having just purchased a pro boss, I have found that it doesn't fly the same as my original star boss and I have to release it more level than the anhyzer angle I could put on that original star boss without it turning over.

So... the question is has anyone thrown both the pro and star katanas and if they are similar in release angle/flight paths before I drop the cash on one?      

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's hardly the same disc. Presumably most Star are way more overstable, able to handle torque, even hyzer out. I flip a pro katana into a quick roller but can hyzer a star katana. Champion is the most reliable for turnover without being too flippy (pro) or coming back (star), for me (450-500ft).
Stick with Star.
The Star Katana is the most stable out of the bunch. With Champ 2nd for the most part. I say that, because the 2nd run Champ Katana is not as stable as the 1st run or those Memorial CFR discs. If you can find one. The 2nd is my favorite, because the plastic is more softer/gummy. It just feels better in my hand. I've never been a fan of Pro plastic, because of how quickly it wears out. But that's also why some people like it so much.
Pro Katana - Understable

Star Katana - Stable

Champion Katana - A little more stable

Just my findings...
they are all stable drivers. if you are turning them over, try throwing them with less power and let the disc do the work for you. not all disc are thrown with the same power.
That doesn't even really follow suit with the discussion and goes without saying.

In my experience, Star always seemed to be more overstable out of the box compared to Pro in general. Also, I've noticed the same thing with the Katanas.
This chart works.
Although this new release of Star Katanas are very flat and should be slightly understable, fast and have a lot of glide.
this whole discussion is pointless because they dont make a stock star katana only the pro. It seams like they keep makeing these japan open katanas so they can jack up the price. Maybe when the Open is over they will make a stock star katana. As for now you will have to pay a few bucks to get one and figure it out for yourself. If star is more stable for you than it will probably follow the pattern.
Star is out this week. Already available on Ebay since last week.
Yeah, the Star Katanas are up for sale now on several online sites, and the guy at my local course who sets up shop said hed have 10 or so this week. Get your facts straight.
The Pro Katana has a Sweet Hyzer Flip if controlled.
They've been on my shelf for a few days already

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968