www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, another question from a disc golfer in training. With all the discs we seem to acquire in different plastics, molds, weights, etc. am really curious if anyone has come up with a strategy for disc selection depending on the course you are playing, the weather, etc. 

I, obviously, bring a floating disc to courses with water. Heavier discs on windy days. And, a nice assortment trying to cover the shots I think I am going to need to make. 

But, curious to hear your thoughts? 

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have my normal bag setup, which has some flexability to it for wind and woods. But...I also have a striaght wind strategy bag with more over stable and understable discs in it. I also will change up my mids and fairway drivers on courses with a lot of tunnel shots. I carry about 20 discs, so there is pretty much a mix in there already, but there are those days and courses where bag strategy can be effective. I would say there are about 10 discs in there that never get changed out though.

I to carry 20 + discs in my bag with most being multiple of same molds. I have my Molds I like from Over Stable to Under Stable and I use them ALL. So, my setup, or my bag, never changes for a particular course, or weather condition. I just use what I like and Have Practiced with> :)

I'll be the first to say that I tend to go a little overboard, but I like to carry a bit of everything.

My drivers (too many) 2 long distance (straight and a anny), 4 basic drives (soon to be fairway drivers?):Wind fighter, normal day hyzer, straight, and anny. I kind of follow this trend through my fairway drivers, mids, and putters with some "specialty" discs thrown in (150 class Flick, Gator and a gift to the disc gods disc).

In total counting putters, it comes to 20 discs. Do I use them all? Not even close! but it makes me feel more confident on the course.

shorter the course - the less discs you will need. 3 driver 3 mids 3 putters. but with a big course I bring a shit load for all those specialty shots. Probably end up using 5-10 out of 20 but the other ones need to be there.

My selection is different almost every course/everyday I play. I almost always try not to carry discs that I know I won't thro. I usually get down to 7-12 discs. I don't like extra weight or extra decisions. My other priority is avoiding losing discs- color/water.

My regular carry is 6 drivers, 6 mids, and 2 putters =14. When I head out to courses unknown and on some of the more technical courses I will load up a few more, generally 18-20 total. I rarely use them all, but it's good to have that special disc for any unknown situation. I also have a "Slim Jim" bag with 3 drivers, 2 mids, and 1 putter = 6. I use it mainly in the winter when I want to play a quick round without the added weight. Trudging through ice/snow wears me down and only carrying 6 discs makes it less strenuous. Same story when it's brutal hot outside.

I do change my selection based on weather conditions, chance of losing a disc, water hazards, wind, etc. Also I like to rotate my discs from time to time and play some of my older discs, heavier, lighter, understable, overstable, etc. This keeps me in practice for different release techniques and gets some use out them old discs that would just sit in the garage storage box.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968