www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been trying to dye discs lately using sign vinyl as a template but it seems that every time i get very bad bleeding. when i dye a disc i usually use star plastic or champion/z plastic and it's always a new disc,( no cuts or burrs) and i always make sure to squidgy the bubbles out and i'm using rit dye in a pan on low heat. is this crappy vinyl with bad adhesive? if anyone one out there has any suggestions as to what i might be doing wrong or could point me in the direction of some proven high quality vinyl that would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: bleeding, disc, dyeing, sign, vinyl

Views: 678

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The quality of the vinyl make a great difference. Use only high quality vinyl such as 3M, Oracal, or Avery. And make sure you wash your disc in HOT water and soap before and after you use the Acetone. This first removes the mold residue and then removes the Acetone residue so that it will not harm the glue on the vinyl.
Let me start this way, Mix 2 boxes of rit dye (what ever color you are using ) and maybe 2 or 3 cups of water. Boil it adn stir, let it sit until it is warm to the touch but you can barehanded touch the pot. Place disc in for 30 hour, lifting out of the dye at half way point to ensure no bubles in the dye. Rinse in hot and cold afterwards while removing stencil. Now back to hte begining, use contact (clear) paper from wal mart, do not cut your design on the disc, cut it out first, (takes practice and patience) then place masking on disc carefully, rub edges well before dyeing. Good luck. Some runs will happens but they are easy to prevent. Check out my pictures on my page and you may get an idea on whats possible.
30 Hours!? JEEZ!!!
Ok, well, I'm gonna try a Champion Boss this weekend I think. It has sort of a glittery stamp on it and is a light clear purple.

I'm gonna just dye a black silhouette into the middle somewhere.

Has anyone tried this disc and/or this color? And I know in "those guys" video they say to try and not use rainbow colored stamps because of yellowish smearage. Mine is kind of silverish checkered I guess you could say. Hope I'm not making a mistake, I want a perfectly clean canvas to work on.

Thanks for all the tips so far, great thread, lots of questions answered.

=)
sorry, I meant 30 minutes. sorry

Shawn Fitzwater said:
30 Hours!? JEEZ!!!
on my page is a blue boss wiht a tribal pitbull and a green boss with an alien.
Haha, ok. I was like, "30 hours!? Dayum! That'll keep me busy all weekend!"

I'm on my phone now but ill be sure and check out those boss's when I get home to a larger screen. Thanx.
Ok, let me ask you this!

If I'm dyeing on a transparent disc, such as my boss which happens to be a very light colored purple, is the dye also going to end up transparent or will it darken up enough to see it well?

I want a dark black silhouette and I can understand it being slightly transparent but don't want it to be too faded, catch my drift?

Thanx.
jack,
i picked up my vinyl at a local sign shop and it's called Gerbermask GSP. Are you familiar with this brand? also do you know where i could order some vinyl online, perhaps something that you have used or are certain will do the trick? i will be sure to clean my disc better, especially after using acetone, i think that might have been part of the problem.

Thanks again

Jack Davis said:
The quality of the vinyl make a great difference. Use only high quality vinyl such as 3M, Oracal, or Avery. And make sure you wash your disc in HOT water and soap before and after you use the Acetone. This first removes the mold residue and then removes the Acetone residue so that it will not harm the glue on the vinyl.

You might have to let it sit longer in the dye to achieve the darkness u want. This is a disc I dyed up on champion plastic Sidewinder. The black OD TOUR logo I let sit for about 1/2 hr - 45 mins for a real dark black the splash is red and i dindt let it sit as long 25-30 mins MAX.

Shawn Fitzwater said:
Ok, well, I'm gonna try a Champion Boss this weekend I think. It has sort of a glittery stamp on it and is a light clear purple.

I'm gonna just dye a black silhouette into the middle somewhere.

Has anyone tried this disc and/or this color? And I know in "those guys" video they say to try and not use rainbow colored stamps because of yellowish smearage. Mine is kind of silverish checkered I guess you could say. Hope I'm not making a mistake, I want a perfectly clean canvas to work on.

Thanks for all the tips so far, great thread, lots of questions answered.

=)
Ok cool, also looking at the OP's picture I can see that black sinks in really well.

Sick dye btw!

(Champion Champion Plastic?)

Thanx.
I may just leave it in there for an hour just to be on the safe side.

That wouldn't be overdoing it would it? And why do you have to check for bubbles mid way through dyeing like everyone seems to be doing and like the guys in the video. I mean, if you got bubbles, your screwed anyways right cause once its dipped that's it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968