www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been trying to dye discs lately using sign vinyl as a template but it seems that every time i get very bad bleeding. when i dye a disc i usually use star plastic or champion/z plastic and it's always a new disc,( no cuts or burrs) and i always make sure to squidgy the bubbles out and i'm using rit dye in a pan on low heat. is this crappy vinyl with bad adhesive? if anyone one out there has any suggestions as to what i might be doing wrong or could point me in the direction of some proven high quality vinyl that would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: bleeding, disc, dyeing, sign, vinyl

Views: 666

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I check every 5 - 10 mins or so rinse, then cook longer if needed. thanks for the cudo's
Ok I'm out buying dye as I type this.

What's the difference in this powder dye and the liquid form? Is one better than the other?
i've heard that liquid is better and both are ok.
I use powdered RIT dye only ... i have only heard bad things about the liquid.

Shawn Fitzwater said:
Ok I'm out buying dye as I type this.

What's the difference in this powder dye and the liquid form? Is one better than the other?
Ok ill go with the powder to be safe, these boxes are small though how far can I stretch a box out?
just you can dye quite a few discs with one box
They don't have acetone here but only turpenoid.

Same thing?
i dont think so..home depot will have acetone
Bryce aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
i dont think so..home depot will have acetone

Damn, I went ahead and bought the turpenoid for 8 bucks! I'll take it back with reciept and get the acetone tomorrow I guess. =/

Thanx.
tip for keeping the acetone to smudge the stamp your trying to get rid of. use a dab/drop or two of acetone on the stamp and let it sit a second or two and then dab it up with a rag or paper towel.
works better than trying to dip a rag in the acetone first and rub the stamp off. aside from googling "disc dyes" or something similar I found a forum somewhere that had like 80 or maybe more pages of peoples dye pics and all sorts of tips and tricks.
some good info on discgolfreview as well, but I found it's kind of a learn as you go process no matter what knowledge you pick up before you start.

happy dyeing :)
eric beich said:
tip for keeping the acetone to smudge the stamp your trying to get rid of. use a dab/drop or two of acetone on the stamp and let it sit a second or two and then dab it up with a rag or paper towel.
works better than trying to dip a rag in the acetone first and rub the stamp off. aside from googling "disc dyes" or something similar I found a forum somewhere that had like 80 or maybe more pages of peoples dye pics and all sorts of tips and tricks.
some good info on discgolfreview as well, but I found it's kind of a learn as you go process no matter what knowledge you pick up before you start.

Thanks for the tip!

Btw, when I asked the employee if they had any acetone he just took me to the turpenoid and told me it was the same thing, I dunno, think I'll just wait and get the acetone. I've only got one Boss and would hate to ruin it before I even really get started.

What's that site with all the dye's posted up?
eric beich said:

I use that method also... couple of drops of acetone and dab it up with a clean rag ... once the color of the stamp is gone you can wipe the silver stamp away with a clean white cloth DONT USE A COLORED CLOTH the colors will run from it and end up on your disc or cotton ball works

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968