www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been trying to dye discs lately using sign vinyl as a template but it seems that every time i get very bad bleeding. when i dye a disc i usually use star plastic or champion/z plastic and it's always a new disc,( no cuts or burrs) and i always make sure to squidgy the bubbles out and i'm using rit dye in a pan on low heat. is this crappy vinyl with bad adhesive? if anyone one out there has any suggestions as to what i might be doing wrong or could point me in the direction of some proven high quality vinyl that would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: bleeding, disc, dyeing, sign, vinyl

Views: 743

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shawn Fitzwater said:
Bryce aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
i dont think so..home depot will have acetone

Damn, I went ahead and bought the turpenoid for 8 bucks! I'll take it back with reciept and get the acetone tomorrow I guess. =/

Thanx.

Sorry i didnt get back to u quicker. Maybe it is similar but its not acetone.
Bryce aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
Shawn Fitzwater said:
Bryce aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
i dont think so..home depot will have acetone

Damn, I went ahead and bought the turpenoid for 8 bucks! I'll take it back with reciept and get the acetone tomorrow I guess. =/

Thanx.

Sorry i didnt get back to u quicker. Maybe it is similar but its not acetone.

It's all good!

I'm headed to Lowe's after supper.
It will be in the paint section, Have you got an exato360 knife? super wicked for cutting out your designs
Bryce aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
It will be in the paint section, Have you got an exato360 knife? super wicked for cutting out your designs

Here's my supplies so far:

5 foot of 13" width ORACAL 651 Intermediate Sign Vinyl

Excel Light Duty Knife Surgically sharp (360?)

A small set of Jewerly tweezers

1 box of Black Rit Dye 1 1/8 Ounce

1 box of Golden Yellow Rit Dye 1 1/8 Ounce

2 inch wide Scotch Packing Tape

Turpenoid Natural (Wrong =/)
http://www.plazaart.com/images/1997/Turpenoid Natural gp.jpg

Here's the exact Turpenoid I have "Weber Turpenoid Natural" the small bottle
the exacto 360 blade actually swivles so you dont have to take the knife up when doing corners or curves
any major craft supply store should have it.
I lost my link to the forum I found that had tons of cool pics and info, but here is the discgolfreview direct link..

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/dye.shtml



also be patient when removing the vinyl or transfer paper after the dye. It's not usually the source of bleeding and can easily be wiped off if a little bit carries over, but..well. anyways.
join the club if you havent already :)

http://www.discgolfersr.us/group/weredyeinghere
Just finished my first couple of dyes last night. Everything went well, so I was thankful for that. After seeing all of theses great comments, I thought about throwing a couple of questions out to the group.

1. Does everyone use the sign vinyl or is the basic contact paper work well?

2. What is the best way to handle letters or non-contacted designs. For example, the hanging tab of a "P" is pretty hard to keep straight. Any tips to keep the design alignment when placing on the disc.

3. Best way to center design on disc?

I know these are a lot of questions, but everyone seems knowledgable.
Ok so I wasn't able to make it to Lowe's in time. My wife has some finger nail polish remover. To my understanding and from what I've heard it's ok to use this correct? It just doesn't come off as "quick" as acetone but as long as it comes off is all that matters to me, I don't mind scrubbing for 5-10 minutes.

I just wanna do SOMETHING already! lol
check out the attachment below. This was like the 4th disc I dyed. It took me about 6 or 7 hours but it looks freaking sweet. now that the disc is about 2 years old the dye is faded and doesn't look so hot. I used the laminating sheets from walmart to make my stencils. then rit dye and acetone as well. A friend of mine put spider man on one of his discs that came out pretty sweet too.
Attachments:
Lovin the Orc disc.... warcraft style even zug zug! excellent job.

Jason PIERRE said:
check out the attachment below. This was like the 4th disc I dyed. It took me about 6 or 7 hours but it looks freaking sweet. now that the disc is about 2 years old the dye is faded and doesn't look so hot. I used the laminating sheets from walmart to make my stencils. then rit dye and acetone as well. A friend of mine put spider man on one of his discs that came out pretty sweet too.
I have not used nail polish remover, but IMO i think you might end up smudging the stamp color more than removing it. But i could be wrong, if you use it let me know how it works out.

Shawn Fitzwater said:
Ok so I wasn't able to make it to Lowe's in time. My wife has some finger nail polish remover. To my understanding and from what I've heard it's ok to use this correct? It just doesn't come off as "quick" as acetone but as long as it comes off is all that matters to me, I don't mind scrubbing for 5-10 minutes.

I just wanna do SOMETHING already! lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…
 

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968