www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been messing around with trying to dye some of my discs, mainly Star plastic. I have been trying to do the paint on  Method using RIT Liquid dye with rubbing alcohol at a 2:1 ratio, and I am not having any success the dye mix is too liquidy and I am having a hard time achieveing a thicker paste. If any one can offer any advice or tips I would appreciate it, I am trying to avoid any boiling methods which may deform my disc. Thank you.

Views: 1468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Damn looks Like I should stock up if I ever find good dye....Thanks for the info.

Yea make sure you check every one, I find RIT is one thing that nobody stocks right. I found one from 08 at my walmart here. Ended up with about 12 liquid Rits and 6 Powders here. If you get in a bind you can order from RIT they are holding some for us, just say you need the old rit. Also there is a lady on Ebay who has a bunch of old Rit at good price.

I first tried the liquid dyes from Rit.

I could not get a good dye job.

I know that you said that you did not want to boil.

But a friend named 13oo13oo showed me that using the powdered dye

and heating it up does wonders.  And it does.  I take my made dye, nuke it

and place in a pie pan.  Here are the differences etween the liquid and powdered dyes

Liquid dye from Rit, using the painting style. Brushing dye to disc.  Came out very light.

Powdered dye mix, heated, and placed in pie pan versus using brush.  The dye is darker.

But I am not here to tell you how to do or what to do.

I am just saying that you should find your style.

Dyeing is a wonderful way to personalize your disc.

Enjoy yourself.

I contacted RIT but had no luck, do you have the link for the lady selling on Ebay?
I've got a yellow Opto Bolt going into a batch of RIT Scarlet red tonight for a reverse dye of a Shazam lightning bolt. Post pics tomorrow. The Scarlet Red was bought from the lady at the basket dying website. My mom also picked me up some boxes while she was in Nashville last week, all old school boxes, various colors.

I've been using the new stuff without any problems.

Having issues with my Internet so I'm forced to use Iphone for now. I don't think I'll be able to find it but I'll try.

Solomon

Hercules

Atlas

Zeus

Achilles

Mercury

Great job on the dye.

It looks beautifull.

Lat64 Opto Bolt....

I buy it from the rit website, but I get the professional stuff, seems like it works good, stonger then the other stuff, and you get 1lbs that last a long time for a good price.

http://www.ritdye.com/store/professional/lemon-yellow-pro

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968