www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Announcing: the 5th Annual Disc Girls Gone Wild tournament, June 19-20. This PDGA Professional A-tier and Amateur B-tier even will be held at Sleepy Hollow State Park in Laingsburg, Michigan. Sign up as a player, support the event as a donor.
We are seeking sponsorships, from tee signs ($25) to cash contributions at three levels (just ask, we'll tell). Fundraiser discs are $25 each.
Activities will include a Breast Cancer raffle to benefit "Race for the Cure." Contact Erin Oakley on Facebook or e-mail valkhere@gmail.com for more information.

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not to be crass or rude but isn't it a little odd, or inappropriate, to call a woman's event that is supporting breast cancer and seemingly the respectability of women "Disc Girls Gone Wild". The implications of such a name seem counterproductive, and to be honest what I have pictured in my mind upon reading such a title was hardly honoring to women who play disc golf.

I could be wrong but I am glad to know that there is a large women's focused event going on. Laingsburg is close, I might have to check it out.
I agree with Chris. The name of this tourney seems degrading and misleading. I get that it's supposed to be clever, but is it really necessary to sacrifice the dignity of all women who share our love for this awesome sport?
I see nothing wrong with the name. It's all in fun/jest. Heck, I've seen alot worse in regards to a tournament name. Oh well, to each his own...
For those of you who are taking issue with the name of the tournament, relax.
Instead of being disparaging, go out and teach a woman or girl how to throw discs so she can compete in tournaments.
And quit using pejoratives when you refer to women behind their backs -- that's way more degrading.
FYI, Chris and Socsavvy, we asked Juliana Korver, Des Reading, Elaine King and other female national champions about the name and they all got the humor.
J-Bird, our major sponsor, doesn't take issue with the name either.
I'm a strong feminist and I like the name a lot; maybe you're just not comfortable with irony or self-mock.
And gee, I don't remember soliciting opinions, I'm actually soliciting sponsors and donors. If you'd like to buy a tee sign, lemme know.
I really dig the name and the cause!!! If I could make the trip I would!
I dunno, the Texas Women's Championship was called Birdies for Boobies. They're going fairly silly with the titles it would seem.
Great cause...absolutely a great cause...I see no problem with the name at all. I too have seen a lot worse for names of tournaments. BTW, There's a huge campaign/awareness program called "Save the Ta-Tas"

Hell, when I seen the title..I was picturing Spring Break Disc Golf Chicks...Too say it sparked my imagination would be an understatement. Just how wild are we talking...lol!!!
It is far from surprising to see such a rift in views on this issue. I too identify as as feminist--yes, even though I am male--and the history of this movement (and countless others) is/are full of dividing debates about what means are appropriate for pursuing the still contentious ends. I could name numerous examples within the feminist movement alone. The most significant and recent is the view of the "personal as political," which somewhat succeeds in explaining our disagreement.

Despite this, it should be made clear that one mustn't disagree with the cause to question the value and consequences--both latent and manifest--of the name. I have great respect for all TD's, especially those fighting for human (and/or animal) rights. But we can agree to disagree about the name of the tourney. I don't have much faith in counter-hegemony and Jaime's seemingly sarcastic response is ideal-typical.

If anyone actually wishes to engage in a larger discussion about this issue, I'd be happy to. Regardless, this is indeed an important--if contentious--discussion despite Leslie's discontent with any response to her post. Those who wish to voice an opinion are welcome to do so. Such is the nature of open forums. (And I won't be surprised if I find my opinion in the minority among our community.)

All that said, I hope this discussion at least leads many of you to think about this issue--regardless of the conclusion you come to.

I wish the tournament--and especially the causes their fighting for--the best of luck.

Peace,

Steve Barnard
socsavvy@gmail.com

BTW, Leslie. Not only do I continue to teach the sport to both women and men, but I try to avoid pejoratives like the plague.
Well $#!T....here's my undoubtedly sarcastic hegemonical (whatever the hell that means) response to that...definitely ideal-typical.

Steve, do you sit when you pee?

....all joking aside...."Race for the Cure" is a great cause....as with all cancer awareness programs and/or fund-raising projects for the same.

Good Job Leslie!!

FYI, I'm from Daytona Beach......anything combined with "Girls Gone Wild" ......well, I shouldn't have to explain that. HA!
What's the Daytona 500 hundred have to do with "Girls Gone Wild" I know! It must have something to do with Disney World! I never trusted the Little Mermaid or Snow White.....Just what the heck was she doing with the seven dwarfs anyway....Hmmmm ;)~
Snow White....definitely high maintenance.....the theme song says it all.
this thread is worthless without pics

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968