www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am writing an article on disc golf etiquette. I want to make sure I don't forget anything. Any suggestions on what to include?

Thanks

Views: 437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it's perfectly legal to use your previous throw as your marker any time, you can just leave your disc on the ground and drop, putt or throw from behind it.
Sounds like everyone has covered the basics, except for one thing that bothers the crap out of me, taking practice throws after you have already thrown. I play with one absent minded fellow that is notorious for this. He is so bad that he has almost struck a couple of people, because these people are assuming he has finished with his throw and it is now safe to walk in front of him. Not to mention the big pain in the butt that proceeds with having to locate the 'practice throw' the went wide and is now lost. He learned the hard way after playing in a tournament and receiving extra strokes for these 'practice throws.'
in Wisconsin, when you come to a hole with a picnic table by the tee you have to shotgun a beer. (casual/league play only)
Try this one,"Don't blow smoke in my face and I won't fart in yours."
I agree with this one big time! My step son always wants to throw another shot that invariably is way worse than his first. Slows the round and decreases his understanding of the importance of every shot.
Please respect other park users and do not throw until fairway and surrounding area is clear. If there is a chance your disc could reach a person on a nearby sidewalk or trail, please wait for them to pass completely and get out of range before throwing.

If there are other park users in the fairway, please send the nicest person in your group to politely ask them to move. Don't just yell at them from the tee box or decide to throw anyway in hopes they will get the hint.
Your question is not one that pertains to etiquette, but to the rules of play in disc golf:
A. A player who fails to play any hole or fails to hole out on any hole during the round may be disqualified, at the discretion of the director, using the following guidelines:
(1) Holes missed due to late arrival may be scored and penalized according to section 804.02.
(2) Inadvertently failing to hole out (as determined by a majority of the group or an official) shall result in 2 penalty throws being added to the number of throws plus penalty throws already taken on the hole. The hole shall then be considered completed.
(3) Intentionally failing to hole out (emergency, injury, plane flight, etc.) constitutes withdrawal from competition. The player shall be withdrawn from competition and officially listed as "Did Not Finish" on the scorecard and in the event results.

B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.

C. Object Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must strike
the marked target area on the object as specified by the director.
Make sure you cover all the stuff in the PDGA official rules and competition manual. Here is the section I think pertains most to etiquette:

801.01 Courtesy

A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the
thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure
anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group
throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure
compliance with the rules.

B. Players should take care not to produce any distracting
noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are
throwing. Examples of discourteous actions are: shouting, cursing,
freestyling, slapping course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing
or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway
beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone
in danger of being struck by a disc is not a violation of courtesy.

C. Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as
assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or
keeping score properly, etc., is a courtesy violation.

D. Players are responsible for the actions of their caddies.
Players shall receive warnings and penalties (where applicable) for the
actions of their caddies.

E. Littering is a courtesy violation.

F. Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow
their smoke to disturb other players. Smokers should extinguish their
cigarettes and carry their cigarette butts to a trash can. Disposing of
cigarette butts by dropping them on the ground is littering.

G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any
affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with
all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be
assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of
any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may
result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.
Amen, brother.
THis has to be my biggest problem. I agree with a lot that has been written here too. You get ready to put and then all of sudden a disc flies in from the side and totally breaks your concentration. As if throwing that extra makes should make you feel better cause you missed your first one. All of the other stuff our community is pretty good with. I usually try to make sure if there are multiple smokers in a large that is going to break off that we stay together. If I play with people who don't smoke I either DOn't Smoke or I stand like 20ft-30ft behind them and make sure the wind is blowing away from them. You could suggest ELECTRIC CIGS to people that are constantly cause a problem with smoking. I use them on the course now and it totally takes care of you for the quick or the 4 hr rounds. The other thing to determine IMO is how serious everyone is....cause to be honest it sucks playing a casual round and having one guy who is just too serious about everything but won't play by himself cause he gets lonely...instead he acts like it's a tourney everyday....so PICK YOUR GROUPING WELL...if you know someone has no "etiquette" simply don't play with them.
Never do the double bock!

I was at a tournament and I was out at 25 feet and stepped up to putt. Another player immediately stepped up to a 10 footer and starts his set up. This is bock number one. I stop after being bocked and say go ahead. He says, no you are out you can go. So I step up again and start to throw, and he bangs his putt anyway. This bocks me again. Bock number two. I then finally make a stab at putting and miss over the top for birdie, then have a long come back into the wind a card a bogie. A double bock bogie.

So please, use etiquette and never do the opposite of what you say you are going to do. If you are given the go ahead to putt when you are not out, do it.
i usually end up at those picnic table holes around tweny past four too... gotta love WI

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968