www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey Disc Golfers! 

If you're coming to or living in Asia, come play with the rapidly-growing Disc Golf commuity in South Korea.  We have courses in Seoul, Jingyo, Yeosu, Changwan and Jeju Island.  We'd love to have you join us for some golf and world-famous Korean hospitality!

Hope to see you in Korea!

Chaz

Views: 1432

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Remember, DG is brand new to Korea, so there are NO permenant course. We play with portable Innova Travelers, and move them from hole-to-hole. So, you can only play when the club plays. Or, you can do what I did: find a park and set up a course! ("obstacles," like trees, poles, etc) The next thing I did was to place bamboo poles, with tape at the heights of the chains of a basket. Finally, I got me a Traveler, which I move. They're not that expensive, and I think the Seoul guys have em.

Of course, at come point, you're gonna want to hook up with the club, and of course, you can come anytime to Jingyo (just west of Jinju) and play the course here--I have 18; a short course and a long course.

Do you have a car or are you bus-bound? (it'll make a difference with the gear...)

Best, CHaz
Hi, I am going back to korea soon, and i would love to hook up with you and with the disc golf club you have mentioned. I have played competive disc golf for 10 years now, and i would love to help in any way i can to expand the sport in korea. Of course i would also like to play, do you know of any tournements held in korea. I will be staying in Iksan, and i will arrive at the end of Aug. I hope we can keep in contact, work, and play together to expand disc golf in korea..Can you give me some contact information for yourself, and the club in Seoul?? I look forward to meeting you, playing disc golf in korea, and hopfully making disc golf better in Korea.
Merkel
P.S. I am thinking about packing really light, so i can bring my ching portable basket with me.
HEY! I may be moving to Changwon, SK in 4 weeks or so...i am an American, from the midwest, and am an avid disc golfer...to hear that there are courses near the area is just GREAT. I'm looking for others, preferably english speaking that would be cool to meet up around South Korea to play some disc golf on weekends! It would be really great to connect with people here. Plus, I was wondering what kind of courses these were. because i have about 30 discs and dont think ill need them all, so...if i know what type of courses these are, I know what to bring. I hope i hear something back....thanks
my email is thomastunes@live.com

I would love to hear from you...peace yo
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the reply--always good to hear from another "avid disc golfer!"

OK, too much info to tell you here, but there's LOT'S happening with the sport here in SK; the downside, however, is that it's brand new, and NO permanent courses--YET! There will be soon, on Jeju Island, starting soon, but there are a number of "temporary" courses, using Innova's portable Traveler. Yes, even Changwan has a club, but they're all Korean, and don't play that often.

The best bet for you, Bro, is to come to Jingyo, an hour west of Changwan, and play with me. I have been here for 9 months, and have built TWO course here; (using one Traveler, which I move from hole-to-hole) one 18 and one 9. The eighteen, at the local high school, has a short 9 and a long 9--the long nine any pro would be challenged to shoot par!

Just as the Korean tradition; the Seoul guys, who are the ones responsible for the rapid growth of DG in Korean, have a course in Seoul that only the top pros could par! (many of the holes should be 4's, but they play them as 3's) Lots of mandies and OB's... The advantage--it really pulls it outta you!

There's also a thriving club in Busan, just east of Changwan, but all members are Korean, and beginners, but would heartily welcome the presence and participation of a skilled American player who could "coach" them. I just returned from a big "all-Korea' toureny there, where I took second. My best friend in Korea, Kang Jun Koo, (JK) took first. He and the founder of the KPDGA ( http://www.kpdga.kr/ ) Kim Sung Bae, are the two guys that are at my level of play. (former PDGA rating: 937--I dropped off a couple years ago, when I wasn't playing tourneys as much)

LOTS more info about this, but I stoked about the possibility of another "avid" player coming to my neck of the woods! But be warned in advance, Ryan, be ready to be in the spotlight if you come here and want to play publicly--again, this sport if on the verge of exploding in the county; (as it did in Japan more than 10 years ago) the Koreans LOVE it when foreigners get involved, especially Americans, and they really roll out the red carpet to us... (btw, "Team Korea," including myself, will be heading off to the Japan Open June 8th--any possibility of you joining us?)

Great hearing from you, and look forward to throw'in some discs!

Chaz
Hey Daneil,

Thanks for the reply--always good to hear from another disc golfer!

OK, too much info to tell you here, but there's LOT'S happening with the sport here in SK; the downside, however, is that it's brand new, and NO permanent courses--YET! There will be soon, on Jeju Island, starting soon, but there are a number of "temporary" courses, using Innova's portable Traveler. Yes, even Changwan has a club, but they're all Korean, and don't play that often.

The best bet for you, Bro, is to come to Jingyo, an hour west of Changwan, and play with me. I have been here for 9 months, and have built TWO course here; (using one Traveler, which I move from hole-to-hole) one 18 and one 9. The eighteen, at the local high school, has a short 9 and a long 9--the long nine any pro would be challenged to shoot par!

Just as the Korean tradition; the Seoul guys, who are the ones responsible for the rapid growth of DG in Korean, have a course in Seoul that only the top pros could par! (many of the holes should be 4's, but they play them as 3's) Lots of mandies and OB's... The advantage--it really pulls it outta you!

There's also a thriving club in Busan, just east of Changwan, but all members are Korean, and beginners, but would heartily welcome the presence and participation of a skilled American player who could "coach" them. I just returned from a big "all-Korea' toureny there, where I took second. My best friend in Korea, Kang Jun Koo, (JK) took first. He and the founder of the KPDGA ( http://www.kpdga.kr/ ) Kim Sung Bae, are the two guys that are at my level of play. (former PDGA rating: 937--I dropped off a couple years ago, when I wasn't playing tourneys as much)

LOTS more info about this, but I stoked about the possibility of another "avid" player coming to my neck of the woods! But be warned in advance, Ryan, be ready to be in the spotlight if you come here and want to play publicly--again, this sport if on the verge of exploding in the county; (as it did in Japan more than 10 years ago) the Koreans LOVE it when foreigners get involved, especially Americans, and they really roll out the red carpet to us... (btw, "Team Korea," including myself, will be heading off to the Japan Open June 8th--any possibility of you joining us?)

Great hearing from you, and look forward to throw'in some discs!

Chaz
p.s. where is Iksan?
hi, thanks for a reply! wow, so i guess theres not permanent courses? hmm, so this means i should grab a bag of maybe 18 discs IF THAT and hope to play when i get a chance....hmmm. i would love to go to the Japan Open! but not sure when I'll be there or if I'll have the time/funds.
I was wondering if you/the groups would need someone to help make a permanent course? Because, one of my dreams that Id like to fulfill is designing a DG course...just something fun I think I would be good at.
I designed a course in my backyard/field, area...and mowed Tee's and greens for the pins, some elevation some trees. actually for what I had i made a pretty good 18 hole course.
Anyway, I'd hope to be in the area in a month...either Changwon or Gimhae/Kimhae. Its goof to know youre kind of close, but an hour away is a day trip for sure. so. not sure how that would work....some weekend most likely.
I'll have my girlfriend there as well so I hope she's cool with me going and I hope she would join me...and I'm sure she would, make a trip to see that area/city/town and play a little disc as an activity.
Anyway, the more I know the better, because im nervous about travel and not sure how much to bring

PS: Do they have tennis around there? like public tennis courts? I wasnt sure if i should bring my stuff
Hey Ryan,

You'll have plenty of opportunity to design some courses, just not permanent ones! That takes a lot of doing here in Korea, but we're working on it slowly...

As to what to bring--as many discs as you can--they're not too easy to get here.(but you can have them shipped)

And yes, there's lots of tennis courts, and players!

Let me know when you get here, and I'll introduce you to the Busan team, and tell you how to get to Jingyo for a round or two. I'm working on a tourney for here in Sept...

Best, Chaz
awesome. yeah, I like to be creative and using 2 Innova portable baskets I made a course in my parents backyard. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16300
Hey Chaz, thanks for getting back to me, and ryan too, looks like you killed two birds with one stone....
Iksan is near Busan, it is just to the East. I really want to play competitively, and i wish i could make it to Japn for the Japan open. I have played with some of the top pros that make that trip. I love to play challenging disc golf, i got sick of that pitch and putt stuff, but play those courses when i have to. I played in the mens open/pro division before i got hurt and moved to utah to go to art school. I continued to play in Utah, but not at the level i once did. I can't remember what my exact player ratings were but they were near 1000, and not below 960.
I spent about a year in china, and a couple of months in korea, and didn't play at all then.(august 08 to september 09). I have been back in the states for a bit now, and the rust is started to come off. I am still working out some kinks in my game, but i think i am playing at a high level now, with room for improvment. I still struggle with a bad knee. with all of that said, i would love to coach some players. I have always been good at helping my friends, and my brother(also plays pro p.r. around 980) improve thier game.. I am looking forward to meeting and playing with other disc golfers abroad.
Thanks for the warning about being the elephant in the room, i know how that feels from my time in china. I hope that if i true do draw a "spot light" it will draw attention to the game, and help expand it in Korea. I hope i can get out to play with as many people as possible, and play competitvely. I also want to do anything i can to improve the game, and help other disc golfers.
You will have to get me your cell phone number, or any contact info for your self and other players. I can use my wife's LG 007 phone here to call Korea, and I will be calling you in Korea when i get there. I look forward to getting together with you and some disc golf groups to play.......until then lets keep in touch, and let me know if there is anything i can do or bring to help.
Merkel
Hey, nice to meet you Ryan
I hope we(chaz, you, myself, and as many Koreans as possible) can hook up to play some disc golf. so how old are you? I am 25.... does your girl friend speak korean? I have also designed a few courses, with the help of my brother, and local park disricts, they are now permanent courses. It is really fun!!
well take care, and see you in Korea.
Merkel
P.S. Chaz, and Ryan do you speak Korean?? My wife is Korean, and she will be a great translator.
hey, no my girlfriend and I are both from the Midwest US and she has been there for almost 3 months. She does not speak Korean, just a little bit that she has picked up. I have been learning what I can from things on the internet and from my friend who lived in Seoul for a year.
I am 24, to be 25 in about a month. My girlfriend is 24. I played my designed course today...i love it. except the pond ate one of my drivers...went in after it but....too mucky and weedy, so...kinda sad, haha, life goes on.
I hope to be there in 5-7 weeks.
thanks for all the replies...I'm really much MORE excited about the whole thing
this all sounds awesome...I was worried at first, among many things about the whole idea, but to know there are others in the area and also play disc gold. it will give me a 'life' outside of work and my girlfriend, which is healthy. So this is all so great. Thanks guys. I hope it works out.
Im glad most of us seem to be in the southeast area of SK.
well, I'll be on here often checking info and I''ll hopefully be able to ship off and give info on that too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968