www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Let's make it happen!

2012 petition - http://www.petitiononline.com/golfman/petition.html

2016 petition - http://www.petitiononline.com/discgolf/petition.html

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's good to dream...one day I hope to hit the power ball too. LMAO!!!

Sure the chances of Disc Golf in the Olympics one day is far far better then those magic numbers rolling in...however the chances are still....slim and none.

Not to mention that the overwhelming majority of online petitions never get delivered....they circulate and circulate...and circulate some more.
the day ball golf gets into the Olympics will be the day disc golf has a fighting chance--
it's in
Ok i filled it in, but then realised im being duped.
No way 2012 they would be still be accepting new sports now.

One other important thing is the internationality of the sport has to be sold, not that the US would win it for it to be an olympic sport, which the petition seems to be aiming at.

There are a whole bunch of rules governing whether the IOC considers a sport, TV viewership, countries who participate etc.
I saw Curling the other day as an olympic sport. WTF? Team U.S.A. vs. Germany I beleive. U.S.A. took a time out. I thought to myself: You have to be B.S.ing me right now. Knock the other persons rock out of the circle and get your closer Duh. Do you have to strataigize during a timeout to figure that out. beyond my beleive. Where is Disc Golf? let's do it.
Well, considering the petition process has already been completed for the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, you might want to try 2020. Golf is in the 2016 Olympics, btw.
I guess the petition process deadline is a minor detail to be overlooked at this point.
They used to have speed walking for god sakes, if something stupid like that can make then so can disc golf. There has been so many stupid sports in they Olympics...we just need one chance.
Im number 440. I dont like the olimpics but it would be cool to have manufacturers from eveywhere and then have discraft beat all of them.
I'm not sure about this. Someone mentioned speed walking being an olympic sport. I think there's been a tendency to make way too much an olympic sport. I know ballroom dancing was an olympic sport at one point (iirc, it started at barcelona). Perhaps this is too much of an attemp to 'legitimize' this sport and others, really. Not everything needs to be in the Olympics.
I never said it was a perfect plan haha, I just thought it was a step in the right direction. Just getting more people thinking or talking about it.
Disc Golf in the Olympics would be a great thing for our sport, but I have to believe we're a ways away from that being seriously considered, pretition(s) or not. One of the challenges with the Olympics is that they try to keep the number of events contested consistent, which means for disc golf to be added another sport would likely need to be dropped. I think IOC is more willing to add new events to the Winter Games as there are fewer sports, but I know that adding sports to the Summer Games is tougher.

I think a much more natural and appropriate forum for mass exposure to Disc Golf would be the X-Games. Disc Golf is an alternative sport for now, and I think the X-Games mindset is also more closely aligned with the culture of our players and sport. Further, in an X-Games like setting, additional skills could be added with relative ease, like long distance drives, etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968