www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Playing Disc Golf in the cold

Here in Northern NY there was frost on the ground this morning; winter is right around the corner.  My questions are: what is the coldest temp in which you’ve ever played, how do you adjust to cold weather and what do you use to keep worm?

1.       Keeping your hands warm.  I’ve already quit a round after 5 holes because my hands got numb from the cold.  Do you wear special gloves for throwing or do you wear loose fitting gloves/mittens and remove one to throw?

2.       Jacket:  I feel that layering will be too restrictive for me to throw with any power.  What jacket do you wear?

3.       Footwear:  I have a good idea of what shoes or boots I will wear as long as the snow cover is less than a few inches.  Has anyone played using snowshoes or cross country skiis?

4.       Discs:  Have you ever had a problem with discs breaking due to them getting ridged from the cold?  If so what plastic was the disc and how cold was it?

Tags: Cold, gloves, mittens, weather

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

geesh!!! ...we don't wear crap!!! ....and we're warm and toasty. ....or is it toasted? damn!!
I will let you know, when the temp down - 30 and the wind gust to 20 mph here in North Dakato. Our first SNOW have mostly melted.
I've played in at least -12 F (which we don't even get every year but a few years ago it was insane). Barely survived 9 holes in the backyard, what with boiling water turning to steam when thrown into the air!
Gloves are always good- skintight but waterproof gloves can be thrown in and in winter a few strokes lost to this is no big deal. Shoes are all about the waterproof- as soon as you get water in there you're gonna suffer get some Seal-Skinz insulated waterproof socks. A jacket with sleeves that you can bunch up to drive in when it's not too cold really comes in handy. Don't wear cotton.
Definitely have to tip your hats to those who have to worry more about sub zero cold temps than Disc Hungry cabbage palms. Cheers to all in Frostier places!
I live in MA and we do a Team Challenge all throughout the winter with Disc Golf Teams from MA,ME,CT,and NY.
the best thing I have found to keep the hands warm is a muff (like the ones QB's wear) put 2 hand warmers in there and you do not need gloves! As far as the feet go a pair of breathable socks and seal skins with Gore tex shoes will do the trick everytime!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968